Paramedics punished for not treating crash victim (San Anton

mahabreta

This scene was used as an example at my last btls class it was a horrible tragedy. Out of respect to the family of the young lady that lost her life that day and the medics that were on the scene I will nnot go into detail as what was said in class. But I will say that ya'll are too quick to judge the medics it can happen to you too if you are not careful and check everybody at a wreck scene.

But I will say that ya'll are too quick to judge the medics it can happen to you too if you are not careful and check everybody at a wreck scene.

That is exactly what any COMPETENT provider should be doing. Anything less is malpractice. There is no other way to look at it.

But I will say that ya'll are too quick to judge the medics it can happen to you too if you are not careful and check everybody at a wreck scene.
No worries. That's my job.

We are not to quick to judge. If ALL victims involved are not checked for a pulse, than that is negligence. That is exactly what happened here. Regardless of what your inside info is, these monkey medics should be fired and charged. There is no room for such incompetence in MY profession.

As Ruffems said " Ma'am, Who do we write the check out to?"

I like the monkey medic thing its new to me use to being called bucket head. Thanks for the clarification. I like to think that I am a career medic and firefighter have had many a chances to get off the ambulance an choose not to as I am sure others here have. We all have our crosses to bare on both sides there are idiots every where. even the burger flippers don't always get the order right. Do i agree with them being trans to fire side NO FREAKIN WAY. They should of been placed on leave pending a full investigation by an outside investigation unit. The state of FLA and the Fire Dept should be embarassed to allow them to practice and continue to be employed if the investigation proved the medics were in the wrong as it seems they were with there little vacation off the ambulance

that was given

Brendan

Correction the state of Texas not FLA
Well, based on recent articles regarding FL and the state of EMS based fire suppression there, it could have easily been.

Don't take the monkey medic thing to seriously. I saw it in a previous post and thought I'd use it. :wink:

Heres how I do it. If by triage this pt is unsalvageable ( I only have 2 ambulances available) she will be left until any immediates are transported.However final confirmation will be done before I leave. Even if I have to have a basic emt hook up the leads while I am attending to a viable pt. If she was breathing then she is not deceased! If neccesary to leave to transport the other patients. This pt will be left with a flight crew or if not available I will patch to medical control to let the bls crew take the least critical. While I remain on scene with this pt. This is rural ems's solution to a difficult problem ( multiple immediate pts and 1 medic ). That this occurred in a urban system with multiple als providers is an outrage.

Now for the rant-

If you are becoming a paramedic to increase your chances to get hired on a fire dept then I have NO respect for you! Between all of the daily fire duties other firefighting requirements, your medical skills will suffer. Do the career paramedics a favor go to your taxpayers and request to go back to bls engines and bls rescue trucks. The ce requirements are less so that reduces your operating costs that should also keep you out of court on calls like this. Also a cheaper alternative to the multi-million dollar lawsuit that this will cost.

Maybe someone needs to remember the old cliche " A jack of all trades is a master of none!"

I may not know the entire story but here is a simple formula- 3 pts, 2 were transported. 4 paramedics in trouble- somebody didn't assess a pt ( damn she looks dead is not an assessment )

To the person who said we shouldn't judge these paramedics. That is what the definition of the standard of care is- What similarly trained individuals would do in the same circumstances. I will tell you I WOULD CHECK FOR A PULSE ! And get an ecg to prove the pt is dead. That is how negligence is decided, they deviated from the standard of care therefore the taxpayers get to write a check.

I know if I lose my certification I'm unemployed That these people were put on a different engine is BS they should be sent down the road kicking rocks and collecting cans for rent!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.