Educated under pressure to perform under pressure

mobey

I have started my paramedic program at the University of Alberta, and thought I would promote a discussion about their delivery system.

This particular school is hellbent on turning out top notch medics in all aspects, therefore, there is a huge physical fitness portion to the program. To incorporate the P.F. portion, we run, skate, swim, etc. One way they also use it is as a "pressure" situation.

Example: following a long lecture on infectious disease we all went out for lunch as a class. Upon returning to the classroom our instructor asked "who here washed their hands before they ate", over half the class raised their hands while the others sat sheepishly. He then asked who washed for more than 10 seconds, then 20, soon all hands were down. He was quick to bring up the slide which stated that it should take 30 seconds to completely wash your hands from the wrist down.

So our consequence was 2 pushups for each second we fell short of 30 seconds.

You can be sure we all washed for 30 sec before each meal after that!

Example 2:

The instructor put out a question to the class: "List 4 ways the body loses heat in the O.R.".

From that point on, he will randomly ask a student to recite them and explain them, if that student cannot, they are to choose 5 classmates to join him/her in doing some pushups.

What I got from this method: I am damn sure I am always paying attention, and understanding all concepts, I feel like I am under constant pressure from not only my instructor but also my classmates to be on my game all day everyday!

One slip up could cost us a 5k run, or 30 pushups in the blink of an eye.... hmmm sort of like how one slip up could mean a negative outcome for my patient.

I am very interested in what you all think of this method of instruction.

Example: following a long lecture on infectious disease we all went out for lunch as a class. Upon returning to the classroom our instructor asked "who here washed their hands before they ate", over half the class raised their hands while the others sat sheepishly. He then asked who washed for more than 10 seconds, then 20, soon all hands were down. He was quick to bring up the slide which stated that it should take 30 seconds to completely wash your hands from the wrist down.

So our consequence was 2 pushups for each second we fell short of 30 seconds.

You can be sure we all washed for 30 sec before each meal after that!

Better question. How many people washed their hands and then preceded to pay for the meal prior to eating?

Example 2:

The instructor put out a question to the class: "List 4 ways the body loses heat in the O.R.".

From that point on, he will randomly ask a student to recite them and explain them, if that student cannot, they are to choose 5 classmates to join him/her in doing some pushups.

(A: evaporation, conduction, convection, radiation)

If I'm going to be punished for the faults of another student, I better damn well have the chance to answer for that student as well. As well, I hope that this policy was able to be viewed well before the end of the application/registration period. Gimmicks are definitely a strike against any program in my book and punishing everyone for the failure of a single person is definitely a gimmick.

I'm not so sure on "physical incentive" training, but it is nice that your school wants to turn out medics that don't have "Supersize Me" type asses and are encouraged to pay attention. Good ideas, though.

Are you there for an education or a workout :roll: ? The whole idea sound absurd to me. Don't get me wrong. I advocate being fit to perform your job, but this "style" of teaching, if you can call it that, just doesn't have any place in ADULT education.

Are you there for an education or a workout :roll: ?

Sooo, are you saying you can't do both?

Please don't get too dramatic about this, it is not all pushups and running allday, but there are some pretty well everyday.

To be totally honest with you guys, after sitting in a classroom for 8-10hrs, it feels pretty good to get out and run a few miles.

Yes - we were told about the physical portion in the interview portion of the application process, so this is not new to me.

As far as military training goes, I think we differ a bit. We have no uniforms, your shirt can be not tucked in, we don't have to march, we don't chant together, our instructor NEVER demeans us, we don't get any guns :cry: ,

I'd be ok with it... but I wouldn't like the whole "do pushups with me because I fubared" thing. The runs after and before class though, and emphasis on physical improvement? Sure. It's a forced way of making you do what you should be anyway.. and moving around gives you more energy and better focus.

I need a slave-driver to get me to exercise regularly. I'm just not motivated with it. If it were part of class (as it used to be part of the sports I did when I was younger) then I have motivation.

Wendy

CO EMT-B