The interview

HEAD inj

As what some would say I am an old timer in EMS. The other day I went for an interview with a very large nation wide provider. I have been out of EMS as a fulltime job for just about 8 years now. A recent change in my life has brought me full circle back towards EMS. I have kept up on my C.E.’s and kept all certs current. I went in for the interviews with 5 of what I would say are younger EMT’s than my own child. They were all very qualified EMS providers. Most with less than a few years in EMS. During the interview I was a little taken back at the fact that they thought I was out of touch with EMS. I politely explained to them that when I begin in EMS I was still in High school and that I have made public safety my life. I told them that several changes have been made in the 33 plus years that I have been in EMS. I went on in telling them that in a lot of ways with what I have done in EMS that I paved the way for them to get to where they are today.

Now my question for all of you is. Is one to old to ever get back into EMS?

Has EMS change in a way that it’s a young person’s game?

I am still very capable of doing the job. I do not want an admin job within the company as what was suggested by one of my interviews.

Tell me what do you think?

Well.. I am 50 and begin my first real paramedic job the day after tomorrow. I graduated last May so my knowledge should be current. My achilles heel is lack of experience. I am rectifying that. I would suggest an honest appraisal of strengths and weaknesses. As long as you can do the job and are physically fit enough to pull your own weight, then age is a number.

As we talked last night some I am sure you did ok with the interview. But I agree with Mike if they made a hint of not hiring you cause of your age I say get a damn good lawyer. But good luck you will be great no matter what....

One is never too old (within reason) to begin a career in EMS or indeed rekindle that spark to become involved again. I have a lot of middle aged individuals in my nursing class and there were also quiet a few in my medic class. They bring a lot of life experience, knowledge and advice to the group. They knew when to pull us youngsters back into line when we got sidetracked or preoccupied. I’ve been fortunate enough to be in a learning environment were most of the class worked well as a team and got along with each other. They also approach situations in a different manner when on road or in the work environment.

Some of my closest friends are quiet older than myself.

I say good on you for jumping back in and good luck.

If you upkeep your recert and know not only the latest NREMT "skills" but also trends and type of thought in EMS, I think you should be okay. Also, wouldn't hurt to do a few ride-alongs to know what attitude and thought of those in the field currently is.

It's really a pointless argument. Yes, with time out of the field, you can lose your knowledge, your instincts, your skills, and your edge. It happens. But that is no more of a disadvantage than being a n00b. And, of course, it is a lot easier to get all that back than it is to develop it for the first time, as a n00b would have to. Do they not hire n00bs?

There is no doubt that the advantages of hiring someone returning to the field generally outweigh any possible disadvantages. But it's ultimately going to depend upon the individual. You have to be ready to re-learn and adapt to change. If the employer has had a bad experience or two with dinosaurs who came back only to whine about the way they used to do things, and refuse to progress, then I can see why they may be hesitant. That is why it is incumbent upon you to make your case as a progressive and adaptable professional, and not just come across as someone who already knows it all.

• 1 year later...

No they did not say out right that I was to old .....BUT the hint was there.... and as one post asked.. I am VERY much able to do the job. laugh.gif

It's my guess that they "posed" the question to see how you would respond...nothing more.

I am 45 and just graduated from Paramedic school and recently had my first EMS interview. The same type of question came up.

You should focus on what you bring to the position by being a little older, wiser and maybe more mature. You should focus on what you've been doing to stay in touch with EMS having not been active for 8 years. Don't let them rattle you.

Outside of interviews, I am asked the question often...by instructors, classmates, peers and...yes...even patients. I once had an 82YOF ask, "...at your age?".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.