This video shows you how to get fired from your EMS job

NYC-EMS

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a urban enviroment and have been on a similair call recently. I'm just going to assume that this patient was uncooperative and EMS could not work with him initially. If they could have most of that could have been avoided.

How is the cop to blame for a drunk individual that took off running through the streets, and planted his face in to the rear of a parked ambulance?

Looks like both the officer and the EMT weren't really taking command of the situation and got caught off guard. They should have managed him where they found him and let the transporting ambulance come to the patient and take over.

Is it a crime to be intoxicated?

This guy cannot refuse treatment he should have been assessed in one spot and if he tried to leave the cop should have stopped him.

He would have been placed on a 5150 here and possibly handcuffed by police then transferred to a gurney with restraints (with a backboard already placed if for some reason this all happened after the face plant). He's obviously a danger to himself and needs to be fully assessed.

Yeah, trust me... a ground level fall is a lot less benign than a pavement dive from an elevated cot. If he falls while stumbling, that's his fault. If he falls from your cot, even if it is his fault, it's your fault.

Not to mention quite embarassing, not that it has happened to me yet, but I heared of a gal that tried to jump from a cot, but was strapped in, so she ended up on the ground with a cot half on top of her while the medics who had been holding the ends with one hand as they walked stood in total dissaray.

Ok so anyone who has worked in EMS for a period of time has run into some type of similar situation at least once. With that being said I see allot of "what ifs" or "well if they would haves" We all know that " AMS" Pt's regardless off ETOH or Hypoglycemic or what ever, that are belligerent and uncooperative are difficult to assess. I don't see whats wrong with this video. The way I see it they had a uncooperative Pt for whatever his condition was and they did what they could to get the guy in their truck to transport him. Like someone said before, we weren't there so we only know a piece of the story that we seen on video. We can all sit here and criticise all day long and argue over a forum, but really, whats this going to accomplish. Some people over analyze things too much. There is no call that is perfect and that is why were use the term "practice" IMO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.