Canadian Paramedic writing NREMT exam

akroeze

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked here before but I'll ask it again. I have checked the NREMT web site and can not find any information for out of country applicants getting equivalency to write the NREMT exams. Does anyone know about this? Anyone been through it? Is it easier just to take the courses all over again in the states?

Since I already have the extensive educational foundation I wouldn't feel guilty taking a 556 hour (plus 350 clinical) Paramedic program I found just across the border if I have to.

I am basically in the same boat here.

National registry is a step above state certification (which is required before you can take the NREMT exams). You would have to get certified by a state EMS licensing agency before you can take the National Registry exam.

Reciprocity is set up for the 50 US states (e.g. Nebraska to say, Delaware) rather than nations (e.g. Canada to the US) so you would have the approach a state licensing agency.

Texas will let you become certified if you approach a Texas licensed educational provider and get a transfer of credit to there so you can "graduate" from that program and take the Texas exam; which would allow you to take the NREMT exam.

Take a look at California, they also seem to be a little bit more liberal than some of the other states I have checked out.

Let me know what you find.

That's about the sum of it. In addition to Texas, Louisiana is known to be transfer-friendly. And that state always has a serious shortage. I would bet that, if you contact Acadian Ambulance there, they will work something out to put you through a couple week "refresher" class, just to get you up to speed on US protocols that are expected for the NR exam, then sponsor you to take the NR.

Of course, Texas and Louisiana are right next to each other, so you could possibly work both angles at the same time. Are you looking to relocate here and work, or what? I wish I were running a service. I'd hire every Ontario medic I could get!

I'd hire every Ontario medic I could get!

Umm Ahem ..... did you forget about that other "province" ... the ONE that Ontario follows all their lead's ?

cough, splutter, hack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.