He what?

fireflymedic

You are called out to a 41 year old male for chief complaint of hiccups. On arrival, the man informs you that he has had intractable hiccups for the last four hours and can't get them to stop. He also says his chest hurts rating the pain a 5 out of 10 with inspiration. You take vitals and this is what you get :

pupils : PEARL

BP : 88/62

pulse : 108, thready

resp : 22, shallow

Meds : plavix, claritin, daily asprin 81 mg, nitro

Allergies : NKDA

PMHX : angina

Guy is a frequent business traveler and states he just got back from a trip today with the problems starting on his way home. Says he took 2 nitro bringing pain down from 7 to 5, but still experiencing pain.

what do you think is this guy's problem and what else would you like to know?

What happened before the hiccups started? What did he have to eat? Any ABD pain, distention? Any allergies? Trouble breathing? Does the pain radiate or stay in one place, what does it feel like? Fever? Chills?

Did he recently start taking any of the medications? Any over the counter or herbal medications?

Can we get a temp? 12 Lead EKG, Lung Sounds, SpO2...IV started as well in preperation for possible fluid bolus...

differentials...poss MI, pneumonia, bleed somewhere...

You are called out to a 41 year old male for chief complaint of hiccups. On arrival, the man informs you that he has had intractable hiccups for the last four hours and can't get them to stop. He also says his chest hurts rating the pain a 5 out of 10 with inspiration. You take vitals and this is what you get :

pupils : PEARL

BP : 88/62

pulse : 108, thready

resp : 22, shallow

Meds : plavix, claritin, daily asprin 81 mg, nitro

Allergies : NKDA

PMHX : angina

Guy is a frequent business traveler and states he just got back from a trip today with the problems starting on his way home. Says he took 2 nitro bringing pain down from 7 to 5, but still experiencing pain.

what do you think is this guy's problem and what else would you like to know?

Leave that out next time, It's a big hint. Make people ask if he travels a lot!

hey I was trying to give one that even newer basics could play along ! I CAN be nice sometimes ! Not all my patients are weird ones !

I know PE is the culprit. Other wise 100mg Thorazine IM may have done wonders. At least it helpd me one time, even though it was only temporary.

• 2 months later...