Here we go again!! Time to go wading in New Orleans!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does that surprise you? Bush was re-elected... (I know it's not related, but still...)

Good point.

Talked to my parents in Winnfield. Their church took in 72 nursing home patients and about 20 staff members along with some of their families. Other than some of the patients had problems sleeping on cots they didn't have any problems the last couple of nights.

They're still getting heavy rain. Dad said that him and the grandkids sat out on the front porch watching the wind and rain. The power company had to come out and they sat and watched them like a bunch of hill billies. I guess it was entertaining. As I was talking to him on the phone last night he had to go. There was a MVA right in front of the house as I was speaking to him. Being a former EMT himself, he of course had to render aid. Haven't heard anything from him about it yet.

I'm back!! Our task force left Shreveport before sun-up Saturday morning. We left with 9 ambulances, 3 law enforcement vehicles, 1 generator trailer, our 30' disaster response trailer, 4 communication trucks, our 105' portable radio tower with repeater system, 1 fire mechanic service vehicle and 40 staff. We took enough food and water for everybody for 3 days. We traveled to the ambulance credentialing point in Alexandria, La., where we were expidited through the inspection process. We were able to get all vehicles inspected, crews fed, and trucks re-fueled in about 2 hours, then off to New Orleans. We had 2 minor mechanical problems enroute, but having the fire mechanic with us kept us on the road with minimal delays. We set up our base in East Jefferson parish, set up our comm. system, and received our first missions. As all our ambulances come from different providers, both public and private, and our comm. staff provided us with portable radios and GPS units for every vehicle. We were tasked with moving bed-bound home health patients to the airport for evac. to Baton Rouge. Myself and one of our law enforcement officers went to the airport to verify the situation there. We found a military C-130 ready to load, a federal D-MAT strike team and a fuel truck ready to supply our fuel needs. We began dispatching our ambulances and were able to move approx. 30 patients to the air marshaling point that night. We were only slowed by aircraft turn-around time, the inability of the D-MAT team to accept our patients without an aircraft on the ground, and the patient capacity of the plane(19). When the flights stopped, we transfered several patients to the train station, 5 more were transfered by ground to Baton Rouge, and 3 by ground all the way back to Shreveport. We were able to split our ambulances into 2 shifts, allowing some to sleep while others ran. We also had enough people to staff 3 medics per truck, as we often double loaded. We left Sunday morning, and during the return trip home, our disaster trailer was diverted to help establish a evac. shelter in Bossier City. All this was accomplished in 36 hours, including travel time. We are very proud of the job we did, and the time we did it in. Yes, we did encounter some problems, usually related to the EOC and other state officials, but overall, things went well. We will be having a de-briefing soon, and we will iron out the problems then.

Saw how much rain Alec (Alexandria) got. Someone said that they thought they had more rain than NO did, but I doubt it. My folk's are starting to dry out and move the nursing home patients out of the church's gymn.

We're in S. IL but were suppose to get between 3.5-5.0 inches of rain from the same system. Bring it on. We're desperate for some rain. Just hope it's not all at once.

This creeps me out...

My very first post to EMTcity: http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...ighlight=#26042

And now here I am, back again, on the verge of another New Orleans storm.

Interesting! My post from that thread is holding true too:

You see, for every one or two disasters, we have ten to twelve false alarms, like the last two hurricane seasons have been. Millions of dollars to mobilise "disaster" resources half way across the country, just for a little rain. It's the whole 'Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario in action. It won't be long before government decides this is way too much money and effort to spend for the once-in-a-century "perfect storm".

And I'll agree with them.

All those people who evacuated this time are already saying, "F it!" and they won't cooperage next time. So, a few years down the road, when the big one hits, again we'll have no evacuation and no preparation, and we'll be back at square one where the new president will again take the blame for the idiocy of the people of Louisiana.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.