Finding an EMT-I course in NYC

Jahism

NYC does not really recognize or employ EMT-I level. So there are not very many courses. Upstate NY does employ and use EMT-I so there are more available. Still, most employers prefer paramedic level. As far as I know the agencies in NYC that have EMT-I courses are

St Vincents - in Manhattan

LaGuardia Community College

Also I think a Hatzolah program teaches it as well.

FDNY EMS used to have it but I don't know if they still offer it or if they do to the general public.

You can do a more thorough search at

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/training.htm

Jim

I was shooting the bull with the FDNY on 4th of July and they pretty much said best route was to become a Paramedic. They also said Rudy shut down illegal fireworks sales, they've gotten much less business on the 4th meaning they can stretch out a bit until the next bum comes up and hassles them for medical attention :)

NYC Methodist offer a two day a week program, St Vincents and BMCC run full time programs.

• 2 weeks later...
Then...what is a Nassau County A-EMT? I thought it meant "Advanced", as they are supposed to be able to start IVs.

Whereas Nassau and Suffolk don't recognise EMT-I, they do recognise CC. Arguably an EMT-I with a couple of bells and whistles added on, but minus the NR recognition.

The "AMT", used exclusively by Nassau PD EMS, will either be CC's or Paramedics. As far as I am aware, no distinction is made between the two, in spite of the latter having about 1,000 hours more education.

• 2 weeks later...

Then...what is a Nassau County A-EMT? I thought it meant "Advanced", as they are supposed to be able to start IVs.

Heah Richard, Years ago, .... Paramedic in NY was AEMT-IV-Parameidc, and what is now known as EMT-CC was AEMT-3-Critical Care,, thats where that AEMT came from NCPD Emergency Ambulance Bureau, shortened the title to AMT... hope this clarifies your quesion,.