Ambulance stolen!!!

Laura Anne

So I just found out that a local EMS unit....Lafayette Ambulance, 317-2.... was just stolen from the Montgomery County E.D. unloading dock today in Pennsylvania.

They have yet to find it. :shock:

So far they dredged the nearby river because reports came in that an ambulance was seen being driven into the water there. They just called off that search w/o any results.

Sooooo, uhhhhhh, welll...... if ya see a lovely new white and blue striped rig with gold lettering on the side stating the above squads name on it......ummm.....just let SOMEONE know!

Will keep you posted and remember all, BE GOOD AND SAFE!!!!

I find things like this to be quite humorous. While I do realize it puts people in danger by taking an emergency vehicle out of commision, or worse gives people an ability to pose as EMS... I have to applaud anyone whos crazy enough to steal some of the most inconspicuous vehicles in the country (fire trucks, cop cars, anything large and/or brightly colored and easy to identify).

I read an article in JEMS last year about an ambulance that was pulled over for wrecless driving. The cop became immediatley suspicious when one person was wearing a beret with a generals star with his uniform and the other had seargents chevrons on his uniform, upside down. They wound up detaining the crew and searching the ambulance only to find a few hundred pounds of marijuana in it.

1) If this is not a joke, what is the license plate number?

2) Stolen ambulances are, as mentioned on other strings, potential weapons of mass destruction, and a delivery system for same. Small as they may seem in the back when taking care of a patient, just how much dynamite, C4 plastic explosives, or fertilizer/diesel fuel bomb material can be stuffed back there, and then, under lights and siren, just pull up on a "scene" at a local, state/province, or federal/national governmental center, or a sports center during "the big game", and...

BOOM!

Please don't get me started on "Dirty Bombs", or "Bio-Bombs". I will presume most, if not all, of us have had the tabletop scenario drills for this.

1) If this is not a joke, what is the license plate number?

2) Stolen ambulances are, as mentioned on other strings, potential weapons of mass destruction, and a delivery system for same. Small as they may seem in the back when taking care of a patient, just how much dynamite, C4 plastic explosives, or fertilizer/diesel fuel bomb material can be stuffed back there, and then, under lights and siren, just pull up on a "scene" at a local, state/province, or federal/national governmental center, or a sports center during "the big game", and...

BOOM!

Please don't get me started on "Dirty Bombs", or "Bio-Bombs". I will presume most, if not all, of us have had the tabletop scenario drills for this.

Prime example... watch "The Kingdom" with Jamie Fox... it uses that exact same scenario.

Have not seen or read the story it's based on, but then, there was the bombing of the Marines Barracks in Lebanon, actually did that.

Go to the movie "A Clear And Present Danger". The nuke that nearly killed the president, and tore up the city was in a cigarette dispenser machine, but could just as easily have been in a stolen ambulance.

I believe you, never doubted you.

I had my ambulance "stolen" by a co-worker, as a joke, with a master key, when such items were available. He simply relocated the ambulance down the street, but I nearly had

1) a heart attack

2) the city on a security alert, involving the rest of the FDNY EMS command, the FDNY, and the NYPD.

On second thought, the thieves, if pulling off something as I have described, might simply hide the ambulance until needed, steal the plates from 2 other ambulances (for front and rear) so the plate number might not still be attached to that ambulance.

No worries.... my first thought was that a CCFCCP (Coo-coo for co-coa puffs) individual got hold of the rig and took it for a 'fun' spin around town. This actually happened to my squad approx 10yrs ago.

They pulled up to a row home for a pretty seriously ill Pt and when they came outside with the Pt, the truck was gone! We have the Norristown State Hospital grounds in our local. This is a state run mental facility consisting of approx 25 buildings for all types of mental illness and other people who have problems in society. ANYHOO..... a wonderful person from this facility was just released and was "safe for release to public".....yeah.... :roll:

They caught that person after the person went on a nice ride throughout the city being chased by Pd!!

On a more serious note, my second thought was the same as yours: use of the rig for terror. Lets all cross our fingers for the first thought.... :|

I say we put a moderately large chunk of C4 in each ambulance wired to a remote detonator that only the state PD have access codes to. Once the ambulance goes missing, we announce over the ambulance frequency that the thieves have 10mins to deposit the ambulance at a pre-determined location or they will go boom. After 10mins, look for the mushroom cloud....