CCEMT-P just what does it stand for

Thats cute Rid, but having a CC in front of your EMT-P around here means NOTHING at all other than the billing department being able to charge more for the SAME service that I provide without the little CC before or after my title. It doesn't matter to ANY departments in this area much like a RN getting in to EMS around here. The highest "street" level recognized is EMT-P. There is NO extra pay, NO extra benefits (to the employee with the CC), NO change in PT care......only the billing is different.

As I stated, it is a nice way to get some CEUs and good knowledge, but nothing around here changes other than BILLING.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, what I was referring to is the paramedic who now signs his name as ruffems, CCEMT-P but up until their weekend journey into critical care paramedic program they signed their name as Ruffems, emt-p or ruffems, nremt-p

Not where I live and work. When I work in respiratory, I sign my name M. Hester, RRT on all the charts. The same goes with EMS. When I'm flying or on the truck, I sign my name M. Hester, NREMT-P. I cannot put both at the same time. When I'm clocked in as a respiratory therapist, I sign as a respiratory therapist. When I'm clocked in as a medic, I sign as a medic.

You are restricted to placing only the credentials you hold in the field you are working as it pertains to the job dcescription you are in as it is governed by your state and employer.

Who restricts you? Your employer? Ethical Concerns? State Boards? IS Dr. Bledsoe wrong when he has D.O., NREMT-P after his name if he is appearing as a physician? I'm playing kind of devils advocate here I know, but I know plently of Flight RN's who badges say: RN/EMT or RN/EMTP, (FP-C/ RRT also). So is this a standard in your area, or are you stating that this is a national standard? Again, devils advocate here, but if I'm typing it, many are wondering......IMHO

Your employer and the differing scope of practice can restrict you.

I do not use RRT when working EMS because my scope for RRT is much broader than a Paramedic's, yet, I am bound by the scope and protocols from state and my medical director while working as a Paramedic.

Inside the hospital, the Paramedic credential is not recognized since the statutes were written a "Prehospital". Also, if someone saw me doing something as an RRT, they might only recognize EMT-P and question my ability to do that "skill" or medication as an EMT-P.

Since RRT is the higher education level, if I am trying to impress with all my credentials, RRT would go before EMT-P as would RN for those that have that credential. Actually, in NY and FL, Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT) would probably be listed before EMT-P by the higher education.

Flight nurses that do HEMS in Florida must have a prehospital credential. However, they can get the EMT-B in about 2 weeks and challenge the EMT-P test. So for them, it is just another cert. Until the Paramedics, as RT had to, advances their education to close that loop hole, this will continue in many parts of the country. Once that happens, the RNs will probably consider the PHRN certification. However, at the rate of EMS advancing in education, the RNs can take their time for enacting another certification. The prehospital credential is not required for Flight or ground interfacility transport.

Several RRTs, like myself, were EMT-Ps first and then went back for a degree (or 2nd degree) in RT or Cardiopulmonary. Some work in both professions to have the best of both worlds.

I sign my name Matt, EMT-P, RN

It's my first certification and I'm proud to put that down. I guess my "ego" wants me to sign the paperwork that way but I see it as something else. Not many people can say they are a paramedic and a nurse, so pride does come into this. I'm proud to be a paramedic. But at the hospital, it's my nursing license that I work under. Just like in the field, it's my medic certification that I work under. However, my titles, my credentials, I'm very proud to have because I've worked hard for them. It's not just the scope it's what we've all earned.

A buddy of mine signs his blah LP, BSN, RN. LP meaning licensed paramedic (I'm not a licensed paramedic, just a certified). Don't ask what the difference is because there isn't any in Texas.

Who restricts you? Your employer? Ethical Concerns? State Boards? IS Dr. Bledsoe wrong when he has D.O., NREMT-P after his name if he is appearing as a physician? I'm playing kind of devils advocate here I know, but I know plently of Flight RN's who badges say: RN/EMT or RN/EMTP, (FP-C/ RRT also). So is this a standard in your area, or are you stating that this is a national standard? Again, devils advocate here, but if I'm typing it, many are wondering......IMHO

Also bare in mind that they do not write those behind their names on legal documents. That's the key. When Bledsoe writes an order on a pt's chart, he'll write it as "Bledsoe, D.O.".

I think I covered this in an earlier post.

I don't know all the Legal stuff about it. But, I did take and pass CCEMTP course. It teaches a lot of "advance" topics compared to Medic class. I found it very good and it was very interesting. There was what I thought to be a tough test at the end to gain the cert. I do know most of the Flight programs prefer this at a minimum. I personally feel proud to have completed this course. No matter what any governing bodies think, they cannot remove what I gained in my head. It also sheds a lot of light on different topics. At my full time job, it is not uncommon to transfer Pts to a "higher level facility" so this as you can imagine helps due to vents, different meds etc. I guess my point is... it's good stuff, and I personally feel proud of it.

I know every state has their own levels of EMT. There are so many initials now that you can't keep track.

That's the truth. The other day I saw an EMT with the letters EMT-D on her patch. I'd never heard of it before, and thought it was some new intermediate level. I was curious and asked her what the D stood for. She said "Defibrilation". To her credit, she seemed a bit embarrassed.

My 11 year old daughter passed a CPR/Defibrilation course, yet NY State has seen fit to gives a new title to EMTs for knowing how to use an AED.

Thats cute Rid, but having a CC in front of your EMT-P around here means NOTHING at all other than the billing department being able to charge more for the SAME service that I provide without the little CC before or after my title. It doesn't matter to ANY departments in this area much like a RN getting in to EMS around here. The highest "street" level recognized is EMT-P. There is NO extra pay, NO extra benefits (to the employee with the CC), NO change in PT care......only the billing is different.

As I stated, it is a nice way to get some CEUs and good knowledge, but nothing around here changes other than BILLING.

Then your service is asking to be poor. The difference in Specialty Care reimbursement and that of a normal Paramedic transport is sometimes double the reimbursement rate.. Now, that is cute to make an additional $12,000 yr for the cert... All because you are more than the traditional Paramedic because Medicare recognizes that level as such and along with that you should have more responsibility and be compensated for it.

I know that I personally have brought an additional 6 figure number for my service & no my state does not have SCT or CCEMT/P observations nor does a state to get Medicare reimbursement. Again, most of those know very little of the business side.

The reason I have abandoned my EMT/P title is because it is incorporated in my CCEMT/P as well if I could I would gladly remove the EMT portion, and yes I sign it on legal documents as well as my other titles. They are allowed since they are recognition of professional certification ... just as much as NREMT-P. In which itself is nothing more than a testing company recognition...

If one don't like the title so be it.. usually it is sour grapes. Oh by the way, see if Bledsoe makes mention that he is Board Certified in Emergency Medicine or not...

R/r 911

So, if you write CCEMTP behind your name you are considered to be a higher level of care?

The point I am trying to make and I believe Bledsoe was also, although CCEMTP is a trademark, it is being used by anyone and everyone working on these trucks and billing as Critical Care Paramedics with little or no proof of critical care training. It is just a bunch of letters. Many of these trucks still require an RN and/or RRT from the hospital (not an ambulance employee) to accompany them because they are not qualified to take care of the patients on many of the ICU drip or technology.

Some of the hospitals have set up their own CCT teams to get out of that very grey area of legalities.

For the RN, nothing can be added to the original license designated letters. You can stick any and all certs behind it but not attached to those letters.

There have been many controversies in Florida over the use of NREMT-P since that is not the official exam for the state at the Paramedic level. However, some counties were requiring their Paramedics to take the test. The EMT-P is still the official license letters for Florida. The NREMT-P is an extra cert.

Your state statutes should be your guide.

If you use the letters CCEMTP behind your name just for billing but have no proof to back it up, where does that leave you? Is this not a deception to the insurance companies?

Respiratory Therapy has some technical difference in their letters also. CRT and RRT are credentials from the national certification board. Some states, like California, use the term RCP as a catch all in their licensure. Thus, in the signature, it is RCP first for the license and RRT for the cert to follow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.