CCEMT-P just what does it stand for

I was doing some work over in the ER yesterday, getting ready for our computer system go-live and I noticed two paramedics talking to each other. Each of them had on their name badges, CCEMT-P after their names.

I asked them what CCEMT-P meant and I was surprised to hear them say "Critical Care Paramedic". I asked if that was a certification or licensure level in Mass and they said Yes "we are critical care paramedics"

Not sure if this is true or not but I didn't think massachussetts had that level of certification.

I'm going to keep the services names and the names of the individuals out of it.

I'm just curious if this is a recognized licensure level? or if it is someone saying to the public that I'm a Critical Care paramedic when in reality I'm really a Paramedic. Could this be against the rules of the Mass dept of EMS or whatever licensing body is in Mass?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://ehs.umbc.edu/CE/CCEMT-P/

Look at the link above. No where in the program description does it state critical care paramedic. In fact, many other types of providers can take this program. It is not exclusive to paramedics. In addition, it is considered a basic introduction to critical care transport.

A few states may consider successful course completion a critical care credential. However, this is not the case in many parts of the country.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2subtopic...amp;sid=Eeohhs2

I do not see critical care paramedic among the recognized EMS providers in the state in question.

Take care,

chbare.

Up here in Northern Maine (Southern Occupied Canada) they use the UMBC CCEMTP program for both Paramedics and Nurses. The program is used to train experienced personnel for critical care transport teams. It really doesn't change the scope of practice for the Paramedic in the prehospital setting, but it does help with critical interfacility transfers when a nurse accompanies them.

so in other words these two paramedics were using the ccemt-p out of context and when asked what their level of certification was and their reply was Critical Care Paramedic was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a additional certification for paramedics; a step further would be FP-C, which is flight paramedic-certified. To my knowledge, nobody recognizes it as a "advanced level" but it just shows that they have been through the additional training and class. I think the class is like 40 hours with a exam afterwards. CCEMTP goes through a lot of hemodynamics, x-ray interpretation, lab interpretation, and other things I'm to tired to think about. Most of your flight and CCT programs want this certification. Just got off work, pretty tired.. Sorry if the grammar sucks.

I know every state has their own levels of EMT. There are so many initials now that you can't keep track. One set of initials may be used in one state, and another state have different initials for the exact same level or certification.

I might be wrong, but those guys in MA might have been using the initials in the wrong text. They might have needed to say that they were EMT-P, Critical Care Transport, or something like that. It use to be in IL that you use your initials of EMT-(what ever) followed by additional certs. and training. i.e. EMT-P, ACLS Inst., BTLS, ERT, FF II,.....and so on. Like I said, I know things have changed a lot in the last 5-10 yrs. and it's different from state to state. I might be wrong. But I do know of many who tries to add additional initials that don't exist to try to impress. Some think that just because they have had experience in some areas that are not specifically certifications that they can make up their own initials that no one have even heard of. And actually, that really cranks my chain.

so in other words these two paramedics were using the ccemt-p out of context and when asked what their level of certification was and their reply was Critical Care Paramedic was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes and no. In a way they were correct, but then again, they weren't entirely correct either. Once you complete the UMBC course and pass the exam, you have an option of patches/pins to receive. One say Critical Care Transport. One says Critical Care Paramedic. Guess which ones the medics will order? Here's the link.

http://ehs.umbc.edu/ce/CCEMT-P/CCEMTPStore/cloacces.html

Yes, they are critical care paramedics. However, your state is like my state. It does not recognize it. You can call yourself that all day long. You can write that behind your name on just about anything and just about everything...except a pt's chart, or on any legal document. So long as your area does not recognize it. Once it does, you can. It's not unlike graduating a paramedic course. You are a paramedic. However, you're not a Nationally Registered Paramedic until you pass the National Registry.

Hope this helps.

Yes and no. In a way they were correct, but then again, they weren't entirely correct either. Once you complete the UMBC course and pass the exam, you have an option of patches/pins to receive. One say Critical Care Transport. One says Critical Care Paramedic. Guess which ones the medics will order? Here's the link.

Yes, they are critical care paramedics. However, your state is like my state. It does not recognize it. You can call yourself that all day long. You can write that behind your name on just about anything and just about everything...except a pt's chart, or on any legal document. So long as your area does not recognize it. Once it does, you can. It's not unlike graduating a paramedic course. You are a paramedic. However, you're not a Nationally Registered Paramedic until you pass the National Registry.

Hope this helps.

Well put. Better than I did. In my book if you are at the Paramedic level and certified in at least ACLS and BTLS (or the equivalent in your state), then you should already be considered "critical care" IMHO

Hope this helps.

Ok, but let's take it one step further. Let's say a paramedic takes the ccemt-p course(ccemtp) and they have on their name tags - CCEMT-P after their names.

Now they begin to document on the reports and sign their name with CCEMT-P after it.

What are the legal ramifications of doing so?

Does our EGO(see bledsoe's article) make us more apt to do this because it makes us feel good or is it our own vanity that now that I have taken this CCEMT-P course that makes us more likely to put those initials behind our name even to the point of putting it on official patient care records?

How would the courts and plaintiff's attorneys take this and run with it. I can only imagine though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.