CCEMT-P just what does it stand for

I believe this is just a good way to get some CEUs and pick up some good knowledge, but the biggest bonus that I can see in this area is for billing purposes. The extra letters allow for high cost to the PTs....I may be way out of line here, but thats how I see things around my area.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, you can not legallly present yourself to be a paramedic until you have achieved certification and licensure.

Bledsloe pointed out there are only a handful of states that have a Critical Care level by state statute.

TN

http://health.state.tn.us/ems/criticalcare.htm

WV

http://www.wvoems.org/Services/Certificati...20/Default.aspx

One of Florida's "chain career schools" is now offering this program. It is interesting to see how they have presented their credentials behind their name. The name of a program does not replace the license credential you are working under. Florida still has two credentials by statute: EMT-B and Paramedic.

http://www.fmti.edu/criticalcare.htm

Also, as Bledsloe pointed out, there is not a national standard for these courses, and the education varies as does the testing.

For a legal signature, it should only be the letters that pertain to education, licensure and a RECOGNIZED certification.

http://www.ems1.com/columnists/bryan-bleds...e-Vanity-of-EMS

This became a point of contention in a legal case not too long ago where I was an expert witness. The paramedics called themselves CCEMT-Ps, yet there was no evidence they passed any sort of certification examination. The plaintiff’s attorneys had a field day with that and the paramedics looked foolish.

Where did you get your certification? What status and authority did the school have to certify you? Was it presented to you in the same manner that ACLS offers the disclaimer for its authority in actual practice? How many hours? 24? 40? 80? 200? Clinical experience?

RNs that work CCU don't call themselves CCRNs unless they pass the NATIONAL certification and then it goes behind their licensure credential of RN.

Flight Paramedics may have FP-C, but again it goes behind the EMT-P. CFRN is a cert for RNs that can go behind the RN. Both CFRN and FP-C are nationally recognized with standards for certification. However, it is only a demonstration of knowledge.

It is acceptable to put your job title on your tag. Ex. CCT Paramedic or EMT-P, Crtical Care Paramedic. But, it should not be presented in a way that is misleading about the license you are working under. You may also work inside the hospital without any reference to your Paramedic license if it is not recognized within the walls of the hospital (ex. ED Tech).

Mass Does have a CCT (Critical Care Transport) excemtpion. The CCEMTP course is considered the standard entry level training for 1 large CCT provider in mass. There is only 1 ground based (only) true CCT (RN/MEDIC) unit in Mass, and they use the CCEMTP course as there initial training tool. Also, in the program it has 2 separate "certifications" CCEMTP (critical care emergency medical transport program) or CCEMT-P (Critical Care EMT- Paramedic). I know there are some posts that state that there isn't anything about this on whatever site they looked at, but my CCEMT-P "Certificate" from UMBC says "CCEMT-Paramedic".

Now should they be wearing/using these letters: #1 there are many medics who have completed this program who are not working in a CCT system; if they are not, why use it? I can tell you there are those in my state is looking into a transport rule for people who have completed CCEMTP/FP-C to allow these medics a larger Scope of Practice, but if your not in a CCT program, as of now, in all of New England, there is no point in wearing it..... IMHO...

(I don't see a legal problem with it however (signature issue); as long as they have completed the program it seems defensible.

One has the right to place CCEMT/P after passing the UMBC critical care transport & or Critical Care Paramedic course. It is a recognized continuing education and certification program. Yes, Bledsoe is correct in some of his statements but there is also some misleading areas as well.

Technically, if a state does NOT have a recognized license or certification; Medicare and other payers only need documentation stating that they have exceeded the standard NHTSA Paramedic curriculum. Yes, there are areas that should be covered and yes they can be taught by other agencies however; UMBC has the copyright of the title "CCEMT/P". Even one that has passed the FP-C test can technically be called a "critical care" Paramedic due to their test has been recognized as being testing and certifying Paramedics in the area of "critical care". Both of these are usually recognized as the standards; unless the state has developed their own.

Alike CEN, and even CCRN there is no "classes" or courses that teach such; rather it is a "board specialty" to recognize that you have mastered the minimal allowable knowledge in that specific area.

Although I usually agree with Dr. Bledsoe, this time I feel that his viewpoint was more skewed. I have had personal contact and in fact an attempt was made for the NREMT to consider the additional level, but the costs would be extraordinary.

Yes, I agree there should be a standardized course.. yet again, maybe there should be additional specific area of Critical Care Paramedic alike the CCRN. One can be a CCRN in adult or pediatric... Why should a Paramedic have to take an specialty adult examination, when they strictly work a neonate team?

Although I hate multiple levels, such specialty after getting the "basics" of a Paramedic I can see. Much more than multiple levels of an EMT; which are used as an excuse or in lieu of a Paramedic.

I am currently on our State CCP committee, attempting to formulate requirements for education and license. Due to the diversity of programs it is hard to determine, some are very similar and some are lacking. As well, one has to be careful of "locking" in programs because of payment structures that is linked to "specialty care transports". Doing so can definitely prohibit many services of transporting patients with multiple IV's and medications that are not in the "DOT" paramedic curriculum and may not receive payment because one must be a "SCT" to transport such...

It has double edge sword effects and as well one has to be careful when opening Pandora's box..

R/r 911

I think I know where some of this is going. It sounds like UMBC offers a Critical Care Paramedic course, and recognizes it and the Medics that took the class in their system. So to me, outside their system they really can't use the term of CCEMTP. It's not an official level. So, the question is, can a Medic in any system that offers any additional classes and inservices as a recognized level?

I can see someone use EMT-P, CCT (Critical Care Transport) or any variation of it. Perhaps they can use it on documentation on forms for their system, but not for State or National documents, unless the State recognizes it.

Clear as mud?

I think I know where some of this is going. It sounds like UMBC offers a Critical Care Paramedic course, and recognizes it and the Medics that took the class in their system. So to me, outside their system they really can't use the term of CCEMTP. It's not an official level. So, the question is, can a Medic in any system that offers any additional classes and inservices as a recognized level?

I can see someone use EMT-P, CCT (Critical Care Transport) or any variation of it. Perhaps they can use it on documentation on forms for their system, but not for State or National documents, unless the State recognizes it.

Clear as mud?

?Question, not picking a fight, simple question: There a plenty of RN's out there wearing CCRN, CEN, CFRN, ect ect ect on there name tags. The states do not quantify these "titles" either, although they may be required by an employer. Are these "titles" allowed, and should these providers wear these even though a state agency may not recognize them??

Just a question to ponder....

While I argee with Rid, I do not believe it should replace the EMT-P if CCEMT-P is not recognized in your state.

Also since there is not listed standardizations or even the disclaimers that come with other NATIONALLY recognized certification such as FP-C, CCRN, CEN etc, it is misleading to put that on your signature after a 24 hour weekend "critical care" course which can easily be done in many parts of the country. That is a deception of who you are presenting yourself to be to the public.

The RN credential always precedes any nationally recognized certification. Usually, in the hosptial, staff is allowed 1 education listed, license, and 1 specialty cert for the area they are working in to be on their tags. Sometimes 2 might be listed.

The "certs" RNs list are nationally recognized with a standard exam. For each of their "certs" they may be required to maintain up to or more than 100 CEUs in addition to their other requirements such as ACLS and PALS.

yes, what I was referring to is the paramedic who now signs his name as ruffems, CCEMT-P but up until their weekend journey into critical care paramedic program they signed their name as Ruffems, emt-p or ruffems, nremt-p

I believe this is just a good way to get some CEUs and pick up some good knowledge' date=' but the biggest bonus that I can see in this area is for billing purposes. The extra letters allow for high cost to the PTs....I may be way out of line here, but thats how I see things around my area.[/quote']

Problem is you are not abreast of EMS Systems...

No...

Let's start from the beginning. First, Medicare recognizes a level that has been above that of the standard curriculum of the NHTSA Paramedic (in other words more than Dopamine & Lidocaine drips) Specialty Care Transport (SCT) using such as RSI, Vent care, speciality medications, balloon pumps; that exceed the standard ACLS med.'s such as antibiotics, continuous infusion .. etc.

In the description an SCT is needed for continuation of these type of patients that is not taught in the standard curriculum and that need care as such. Such transports and care would be provided by a RN, an RRT, or a Critical Care Paramedic. Hence, where the wording came from. So yes, it is a National Title... Now, one has to be careful.... if states started requiring or licensing SCT as worded in Medicare that would mean services & personal would not be able to transport patients that has anything that has any medications, procedures, etc .. outside the normal NHTSA curriculum. If you read the common curriculum it is VERY lacking of medications & procedures.. (basically Dopamine and Lidocaine are the only allowed IV infusing drips).

I worked at a service that they were named Intensive Care Paramedic, or what-ever documenting that you have above the education of the "normal Paramedic", such as we started blood transfusions, central lines, RSI in the field setting.

Maryland recognized the need of expanding past the usual Paramedic course and placed an continuing education course.. CCEMT/P. It was initially named Critical Care Paramedic, but due to the increasing number of RN, RRT's, etc.. it also was named Critical Care Emergency Medical Transport Program to allow those that were not Paramedics to have the title as well of CCEMT/P. (again, which they own the title).

There are many courses as I described, some are in very, very detail, some are OJT. Maryland has recognized some of their problems and are in the process of revamping and increasing the intensity. Ohio has one that requires clinical time and as well in-depth and is called Intensive Care Paramedic.

Again, I due respect Dr. Bledsoe and his article but one has to be careful painting a "broad stroke". For example technically CCRN does NOT stand for Critical Care Registered Nurse, even though everyone assumes and knows that it represents those that are RN's and have passed and experience in critical care. CCRN is a trademark, and in reality is not an abbreviation.

I also am very cautious of placing restrictions against those that acclaim to be Critical Care Paramedics. For example; if one is a FP-C they may have never had a "formal class " as a CCEMT/P. I can assure you though, if one passes that exam they have had either in-depth experience or studies of critical care somewhere... Again, this is a title passed and beyond the Paramedic license or certification..

?Question, not picking a fight, simple question: There a plenty of RN's out there wearing CCRN, CEN, CFRN, ect ect ect on there name tags. The states do not quantify these "titles" either, although they may be required by an employer. Are these "titles" allowed, and should these providers wear these even though a state agency may not recognize them??

Just a question to ponder....

Remember, board certifications are titles above the level of license.. For example RN, CCRN .. a focused title that is recognized by all state boards as a RN that has successfully passed the ANA professional standards for critical care. Even Board Certified M.D.'s use such title for professional reasons. For example MD, FACS (surgeon) M.D. FACEP (emergency physician) .... something, I believe Bledsoe failed to emphasize in his article. If you want to see professional titles, work and look in an academic and teaching hospital. Thus the reason for even stating such is for those within the profession. To promote that you have participated and promote your focus and speciality by demonstrating you have studied, performed clinical experience as per experience or testing.

R/r 911

For more info about the CCRN:

http://www.aacn.org/WD/Certifications/Cont...n.pcms?mid=2869

And as Rid stated:

CCRN® is a registered service mark of the AACN Certification Corporation and denotes certification in critical care nursing as granted by the AACN Certification Corporation. Registered nurses who have not achieved CCRN certification status or whose CCRN status has lapsed are not authorized to use the CCRN credential. Although a common misconception, the letters CCRN do not stand for "critical care registered nurse." To use the credential in such a way suggests that nurses are REGISTERED as critical care nurses, when in fact that is not true. Registration is a legal matter between a nurse and the state in which he or she practices. For a definition of certification, as opposed to registration, .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.