A better understanding of the heart

sportygirl

I just finished EMT school and I am exited/nervous/scared about going into the filed. I fill like I don't know every thing that I should. And I want to know so much more about certain things like the cardiac problems and raspatory problems. My book covered it but I want a better under standing of things like what is the difference between right and left side heart failure? I want to know some more about the heart and some other problems. Can certain heart problems cause other problems? If so what and would it be in the lungs? What kind of lung problems would it cause? Would that be things like copd and what else?

I know probly as a newbee this probley sounds like a stupid questions. But someone once told me the only stupid question is the one not asked so I am asking.

Enroll in a college anatomy and physiology course. That by itself will clear a good many of your questions up. An EMT class will only provide the most base of information, and you will not be given any great insight into what you will be seeing. Some things you can discover with experience, but you, like all other new EMTs, are not granted the information that would be useful to have.

Also consider doing a search of these forums. Many of these topics have been discussed frequently, and there is much good information to be found.

I agree that your class only gives you the basics and that you need to research areas where you have questions. As a new EMT, you need to keep it simple. It is not your job to diagnose what is wrong with the patient, you are there to treat the signs and symptoms.

I applaude you in that you realize you don't know it all as a new grad.

I made it a point to become friends with physicians and nurses that would take the time to explain things to me that I didn't understand. I read alot and asked questions.

I have been in EMS for 12 years and still ask questions.

A good resource is the American Heart Association website, keep studying and asking questions.

Hey, whoever told you that is right - the stupid question is the one not asked. The book is not the end all be all it's only the beginning. Now, as far as getting to know the heart better - an A & P course is a great idea. I'm currently working with my students about the heart and it's an area I'm passionate about so if you'd like to know anything, please PM and I'll do my best to answer your questions. Ask away as there is too much to cover in your questions than I have space to post here! Good luck and have fun out there. It's a great job !

Thanks for all the info dose any one have an good books in mind? Anything about the human body? I cant take class this seamster but still want to learn more.

I know probly as a newbee this probley sounds like a stupid questions. But someone once told me the only stupid question is the one not asked so I am asking.

Hey, whoever told you that is right - the stupid question is the one not asked.

I was always told that there was no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask them. :lol:

Sporty - I know brady does a A&P for EMS that's actually pretty good. Might check into getting your hands on one - know they're pretty cheap through e campus and amazon.com

On the whole, stay away from EMS specific anything. They tend to be diluted to the point of uselessness.

If you would like a good Pathophysiology text, you can't go wrong with McCance and Huether's

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sdp_tx...mp;x=12&y=6

There's a long list of offerings, and you will have a tough time finding one better. They cover anatomy in a functional context, and discuss disorders of each system. Pick any of them and you will learn more than any EMT class can ever hope to teach.

For physiology, there is but one standard to obtain. That is Guyton's

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=se...keywords=Guyton

Tends to be a bit more pricey, considering it is directed at medical student's, but the information is well worth it. Guyton doesn't spend much time on anatomy, as that is a seperate entity altogether.

Anatomy needs to come from a didactic/lab setting or you miss out on a significant portion of material.

These are all good posts. Take them all into consideration. But one thing you can do is sort of run around with the Medics. Listen to what terminology they use. When they are filling out their paper work, have them take you through it. Most are very willing to tudor you through it. Ask all the questions you can. If someone seems to be bothered by questions, find someone who won't be. But don't get ahead of yourself. There's a lot of things that you need to take time to learn. Try to have a balance between knowledge and experience.

Don't worry, you'll do fine. You sound just like me when I first started out. Keep up the good work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.