Paper topic: Convincing EMT's to support increased education

Eydawn

IAFC saying, "Paramedics don't need all that them there kollege edumacation thing."

http://www.iafc.org/associations/4685/file...ments070731.pdf

Wow black and white that Fire does not want us to ever get professional medical status as they oppose higher education. Another reason EMS should be separate from fire. Dang it we are Pre Hospital Medical Professionals not anything else.

Oh just wait... as a side thing I found an article praising the VFD as an important pillar of societal structure. I'll see if I can get it in a form where I can make it available to you folks... or PM me if you want to see it, I'll send you a copy to read..

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Yes, I see that. Maybe I can use that as an example of some in the field being ready to move forward and even CHILDREN being willing to do more education than some of the adults we've got. Thanks, Spenac!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

JPINFV, thanks for your input, but my question was about the IAFF not the IAFC to wendy.

I'm going to back out of this thread now as to not hijack it. Wendy sorry for the question that may have stirred up the caca, i was just wondering what info you had on the topic of the IAFF needing to be persuaded to increase training for EMS. Being a member in good standing for many years in a non-fire department I have never heard of this, although I will also admit that I haven't looked for it either. The paper sounds interesting as hell, and I would enjoy reading it in a later thread if possible.....your choice of course. sorry again for the interruption, please continue!

JPINFV, thanks for your input, but my question was about the IAFF not the IAFC to wendy.

Well, that's because I wasn't replying to you but giving a document to Wendy.

The IAFF has opposed moves to increase education in several areas because it means it is more difficult to brute-force the firefighters through the program to get them their EMT-B or EMT-P. As a political group, they have a lot of sway in certain areas.

They know that increasing education for EMT's means the firefighters who didn't want to be medics or basics in the first place are going to REALLY pitch a fit... they also know that forcing FF's to become medical providers ensures that they have job security in low fire-call areas. Poke around the forum a little bit and look at some old Fire vs. EMS threads. You'll see what I'm referring to.

Again, since my audience isn't going to be the IAFF, this is a side issue... my audience is current EMT's and prospective EMT's who are against increasing educational standards for our profession...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You know Wendy I'm sure you've not missed the fact that Dr. Bledsoe has posted here on occasion, even responding to chuckleheads like me....

I'm thinking he'd be thrilled to death to help a basic working on her Bachelors as well as one of the smartest people on the board...

What can it hurt?

Dwayne