Paper topic: Convincing EMT's to support increased education

Eydawn

Hey, y'all. I'm currently in a class title "Writing Arguments" and our last assignment for the summer here is a "persuasive argument." AKA: Pick a hostile audience and persuade them that your position has merit.

So of course, being me, I chose to convince the EMT's who do not support increased educational standards that we really need to address this issue to be the best healthcare providers we can be.

Here's the problem I'm running into... my university (surprise) doesn't have a subscription to JEMS, and I'm having trouble wading through the databases to find some scholarly articles on the topic. I *do* need sources for this paper, unlike here at the forum where we shoot off our opinions at will... any suggestions? Anyone who's got PDF's they'd like to send my way?

Also, if someone could help me with the freakin' search function here to dredge up some of our old threads, I'd greatly appreciate it. I may be culling some quotes from individuals here on the site with permission to use in this paper... if you don't want me to quote you, let me know! I'll be PM'ing folks for permission when and if I find the threads...

I originally wanted to address the folks in charge of mandating our minimum training levels or the IAFF, but my professor doesn't know anything about EMS really and she suggested that I address other EMT's.

Anyway, any help y'all can send my way would be greatly appreciated. Help in finding scholarly sources is my number one priority... :lol:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Searching for new developments in emergency medicine would probably be a great start... as new technology comes out we must adapt. For example theres talk about doing away with ventilation during CPR and just doing compressions. No clue if thats still an idea or not or exactly whos it is... but Ive heard it a few times and some instructors have mentioned it as well. Its far down the road if it happens at all, but would make a great argument for the purposes of con-ed.

Best of luck.

Chris? That's the new standard for bystander CPR. Has been for a while now... and we at the BLS level focus on compressions rather than interrupting them with repeated ventilations... that whole 30:2 ratio ring a bell?

Welcome to the new century lol, and thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not talking about CONTINUING education and responding to the new gadgets they throw at us. Just in case that wasn't clear... I'm talking about baseline education. I think EMT-B's should have to attain Associate's degrees, and EMT-P's Bachelor's degrees.. at the MINIMUM. But I need someone who's already proven themselves to have indicated the need for change in a publication, and I can't find the publications. I know something must be out there...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I know what your talking about... but Im saying that theres talk of doing away with it all together at the BLS and ALS level all together. Ive hear rumors of tougher standards on intubation as well... trying to do away with it in some cases, but as I said these are rumors... from credible sources lol

Anyways, what about emailing or trying to contact the editors of JEMS or some of the editorial posters like Gary Ludwig or Thom Dick?

Chris? That's the new standard for bystander CPR. Has been for a while now... and we at the BLS level focus on compressions rather than interrupting them with repeated ventilations... that whole 30:2 ratio ring a bell?

Welcome to the new century lol, and thanks for the suggestion.

That is not yet being taught around here for bystanders from the classes I have seen.

Spenac, you nailed it on the head. Thanks, both articles will definitely be useful and the citations for the second article are a marvelous launching point!

I had considered speaking with Dr. Bledsoe, but since this paper is just a simple class assignment I didn't feel that it merited impinging upon the man's time. A few years from now, when I really try get myself into a position to advocate for EMS education and status as healthcare professionals, I will certainly be engaging in dialogue with those already influential in the EMS sphere.

Spenac, you're a life saver. Even lexis_nexus and JSTOR weren't working for me this time... and those databases have EVERYTHING...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

http://americanheart.mediaroom.com/index.p...43&item=377

Hm... my crew is ahead of the game then. We've been emphasizing compressions in the classes we teach to Boy Scouts for a while... I assumed it was because the standards had officially changed. Go figure!

Wendy

CO EMT-B