Bad virus coming down

Just Plain Ruff

I normally don't send this kind of stuff but.... I got this from one of my Tech support buddies, someone I trust implicitly and when he tells me something it almost always turns out to be true.

I don't know how true this is ...but it's better to be warned than not. I say, let's be aware so nothing will catch us off guard!!!! Someone says that they have checked it and that Snoopes and Norton says that it is coming! Let's just be warned and not let this virus affect us nor our e-mail buddies!!!

http://www.snopes. com/computer/ virus/postcard. asp

Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

And if you read the snopes link provided in its entirety, especially the paragraph at the very bottom, you will find this information.

One, there is a real virus but over time and through internet has been merged with the hallmark episode. Basically two different virus warnings are now being combined into one horrific threat.

The words below are from the snopes.com site:

"Although the Postcard virus is real, it isn't a "BIG VIRUS COMING" (it's already been around in multiple forms for a long time now), it will not "burn the whole hard disc" of your computer, CNN didn't classify it as the "worst virus" ever, and it doesn't arrive in messages bearing a subject line of 'invitation'.

jeesh I sound like one of those nilly willies but my friends rarely been wrong in the past. Theres a reason why he's the lead senior analyst for security at one of the largest Hospital IT department in the country.

I already asked him. he says that somehow this is worse than usual. We could see a spike of 30-40 percent increase in this virus's prevalance. He's still working on getting more info on it. But his department has put in extra safeguards to prevent it.

Get a Mac.

'zilla :headbang:

Sound advice. After years of crashes, viruses, trojan horses, and worms, I finally took the plunge. I will never go back to PC. This is especially true with the Windows Vista program. Worthless and flawed, it should be a crime to push this onto people. IMHO, of course. :wink:

Take care,

chbare.