I'm sorry. I have to... (the N word)

scratrat

That one's super easy (as explained to me).

Historically, blacks were called similar derogatory terms by whites, so blacks started using the N word for each other so whites couldn't use it against them and to toughen them up. It was a defense mechanism, like the "Your mom" jokes. There's much history there.

If it were actually to 'desensitize' themselves against the 'vicious and derogatory nature of the word', then why is it only 'derogatory' when one particular color of skin uses it?

When Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, Ray Nagin and Jeremiah Wright and their cronies CLAIM to want to reach 'racial unity', but continue spewing hatred, condemnation of the white people, and are constantly stirring up the the whole pot of emotions that they are supposedly trying to let die...they are no different than the 'racists' that they are rallying against.

Why is it that only WHITES can be 'racists'?

Not only that, but has anyone ever seen the 'papers' that confirm the 'Ordaination' of the venerable Revs Jackson, Sharpton and Farrakhan?

How is it the a white person says "nappy" and gets fired but a black person drops the "N" bomb, and Sharpton doesn't incite a riot as he usually does??

I'm really at a loss here. These two peach about bringing out the best in the black race and yet, they drop the "N" bomb. Both of them have been guilty of this. WTF???? It is so frustrating that what's good for them, isn't good for us. I can guarentee you if a white person said it, they'd be fired!

Edited for title - admin

When asked that very question, the Rev. Al Sharpton was quick to defend the use of the "N-word" by rappers as an 'art form'. His 'explaination' was that since it was recorded as part of a rap 'song', that it should be considered an 'expression of self' and therefore considered 'art' and shouldn't be frowned upon. This was uttered when Mr. Sharpton was calling for the head of Don Imus (the first time).

When Don Imus tried to apologize, Mr. Sharpton wouldn't hear of it, but didn't let up on the political pressure until Mr. Imus lost his job. Then came Duane "Dog" Chapman.....again, when an apology was offered, Mr. Sharpton wouldn't hear of it, and Mr. Chapman lost his job for a while. Let's not forget about the whole Mel Gibson thing......yeah, Mr. Sharpton was right in the middle of that whole kettle of fish too!

When the 'Reverand' Jesse Jackson is overheard dropping the "N-word" in public, and going further to say that he'd like to 'cut his nuts off', a simple apology was offered and it's all well and good, and no one lost their job, their position, or followers.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were actually to 'desensitize' themselves against the 'vicious and derogatory nature of the word', then why is it only 'derogatory' when one particular color of skin uses it?

Technically I imagine it's still derogatory, but historically they weren't offended when other blacks used it, because they knew the meaning/reason with which it was being said to them, which was different than the meaning/reason of a white person saying it (just like now).

I don't know about all that Jesse Jackson stuff...he's an extremist.

It's racist to use the N word but what do the black community call us white folks . . .Honkies.

Today's slang is Crackers / krackers so I'm told by some 20 yr olds.

Either way you call it, even though racism will never die, many people will just because of what happened in 1963 and 1967. If you don't know google the name NAACP.

But I can guarentee you, none of them even know the meaning behind the word "Cracker".

what ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME"? or am I the only one who got the memo that words are harmless, it's the people who give the word meaning that can make it offensive

What if a white "rapper" (yes, there are a few) used the "N-word", is that still art? Freedom of expression?

When living in Louisiana a seven or eight year old black boy called me a "Cracker". I said, "That's right, with Cheeze Whiz and a side of mayo". Guess I disappointed him by not getting mad and made a joke of it.

I wish there was a way to just say, "Stop the racism, reverse racism, name calling of races, etc." I know it won't happen, but...

And to me, those who take offense especially if someone said something but not in a threatening way like a joke or friends teasing each other (which I often did), should lighten up. Don't take it so seriously. It's only a word.

I'm sorry, I told myself when I first started posting on this thread that I wouldn't get going, but I think I have been.

It seems strange to me that this discussion is even happening on EMT city. As health care providers, it is imperative that we maintain a neutral attitude towards alternative lifestyles when we are doing our job in order to provide the best care to everyone. And the same goes with firefighting. When someone spends time considering the negative actions/history of a group of people (groups that are seemingly created by skin color), and create judgments on those groups, it can easily cast a cloud on your work ethic when dealing with those groups that you think you have a problem with, or likewise have a problem with you. And it is easy to say and believe that you will not pass judgment when that time comes, but I think that the subconscious is a very powerful thing, and if you commit yourself to believing that these boundaries exist by paying more attention to the things that we believe make us different, instead of the things that make us the same, we will continue down a path of biasness, which will affect our actions and thoughts. Forgive me if this is to radical to get into... I just don't care for racism.

And I can honestly say that in the past, have have in fact seen the impact of racism (both towards me and radiating from me), it is not productive. There is no reason to let your ego get jealous just because someone uses a word that we were told not to use.

-Kiel

It seems strange to me that this discussion is even happening on EMT city. As health care providers, it is imperative that we maintain a neutral attitude towards alternative lifestyles when we are doing our job in order to provide the best care to everyone. And the same goes with firefighting. When someone spends time considering the negative actions/history of a group of people (groups that are seemingly created by skin color), and create judgments on those groups, it can easily cast a cloud on your work ethic when dealing with those groups that you think you have a problem with, or likewise have a problem with you. And it is easy to say and believe that you will not pass judgment when that time comes, but I think that the subconscious is a very powerful thing, and if you commit yourself to believing that these boundaries exist by paying more attention to the things that we believe make us different, instead of the things that make us the same, we will continue down a path of biasness, which will affect our actions and thoughts. Forgive me if this is to radical to get into... I just don't care for racism.

And I can honestly say that in the past, have have in fact seen the impact of racism (both towards me and radiating from me), it is not productive. There is no reason to let your ego get jealous just because someone uses a word that we were told not to use.

-Kiel

It's not at all strange. You made a good argument though. Very thought out. However, this is what people do. Not to mention people in this field. We talk. My life does not revolve around 100% EMS or fire. I want to discuss over topics. Whether or not this is the place to do it, remains to be seen. I post here because I know the majority of the frequent posters. I realize they can hold discussions outside of fire and EMS.

No it does not impact my care on the street, whether you think so or not. I treat the pt according to their complaint, not their skin color. I realize that not every black person agrees with Sharpton, I realize not every person from the Middle East is a terrorist. Would I treat Sharton differently? Probably not. And only because I know he he has good lawyers. :P Otherwise, well, nevermind. But outside of that individual, someones religious beliefs, sexual orientation, skin color, creed, or otherwise, has never been a basis for my treatment.

everyone here has excellent points.. why can a black person say whiteboy but a whiteboy is looked as a racist if he says blackboy. why was george jefferson allowed to say honky but archie bunker wasn't allowed to say nagger. why is it all of a sudden african american i don't consider myself european american i was born in america so i am american who is white. they are an american who is black. to me someone who is african american is someone who was born in africa then came over and got there us citizenship. and what country in africa. do they have dual citizenship. i do , but first and formost american. why can they call whites whitebread , cracker. God forbid if you call them something not even the n word something else you are looked upon as a racist and they are looked upon as the victim. and just to be clear i don't feel that all blacks are like this only a few.

here is a clip from rescue me about racism great clip in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAazd7VgrBE

here is a clip from rescue me about racism great clip in my opinion.

Great? It wasn't great.. It was awesome! That was hilarious! I love that show.