Intranasal drug administration

Doczilla, one other one which I forgot that is quite useful for nasal intubations - neosynephrine which comes in a spray, but is given IN anyway. Though nasal intubations are falling out of favor very quickly with the more widespread use of RSI/DAI in ground services. I believe I've only had one nasal in an 8 year career.

+1 on the Afrin. Epi will also work. We still do quite a few nasal intubations in this area, as damn few of the ground services are utilizing RSI.

'zilla

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many years, I have been taught how to do the "Combi-Tube", but the state (New York) is waiting for a "Pilot" program.

As for the nasal intubation, I have been trained in them for so many refreshers, I forget when I first heard of them, but have never actually inserted one, in over 35 years, now.

biggest problewm with IN morhpine is the volumes

smaller is better - in the ED i worked in before moving to Emergency Assessment unit were were giving meds In mainly diamorphine and aiming for a 02 or 0.4 ml volume - IN morphine sulphate was discussed t it was felt that the standard 10 mg / ml presentation left too great a volume

We have protocol for IN Narcan in Pa and the rumor is will soon have a protocol for IN Glucagon. There was a recent publication (JEMS?) that covered the myriad of medications that can be given IN. So in other wards there is no excuse why EMS isn't catching onto this trend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.