En route treatment of SA victim

mshow00

and then hanging those genitals in the town square with the guys dead body right next to them. But then that would make me a vigilante though. Can't have that.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not have used my personal cell phone. There is no recording of your conversation to the ER Staff.

Most dispatch centers record all phone calls (obviously), so if your dispatch center has the ability to forward phone calls, you can call the dispatch center and ask to be put through to the hospital. If anything comes up, the recording can be pulled.

Our hospitals here have patch lines (unlisted numbers that tie directly to the ED and the recording machines)

I started this thread because I do want to heal all wounds. Call me green, call me a noob, call me a ricky rescue with a hero complex I don't care(not saying you are, but go with me on this). It is part of what drives me to attempt to perfect my skills, to get up and take that next call(when for whatever reason the previous one got to me), and adds a deeper meaning to my life.

Our hospitals here have patch lines (unlisted numbers that tie directly to the ED and the recording machines)

I started this thread because I do want to heal all wounds. Call me green, call me a noob, call me a ricky rescue with a hero complex I don't care(not saying you are, but go with me on this). It is part of what drives me to attempt to perfect my skills, to get up and take that next call(when for whatever reason the previous one got to me), and adds a deeper meaning to my life.

I won't call you anything, other than undereducated! If you want to do more for your phyc (depression and SA that is) get a degree in phyc.

One does not have to have a degree to demonstrate compassion or have to have a degree to listen. It is called being a medical professional. As a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner, I know one does not have to be or show indifference.

Remember it may not be what you said, but what you did not say or how your actions that may be everlasting.

As discussed, these paitents (yes, MEN & women) are emotionally traumatized, reactions can misinterperted and ask any survivor they can be life long memorie. Just remember your actions may speak louder than words....

I don't know what phyc is..?? physical educatin? You mean psych? :lol:

I don't know what phyc is..?? physical educatin? You mean psych? :D

Damn.... psych!

I do try to show compassion and remain professional, but you really realise how uneducated you are in this area when you are faced with your first depression/SA patient (at night, with an hour transport time).

I listen, ask only pertenant questions, let them know they are safe with me, them I sit there like an idiot.

Yes:

These are can be very difficult calls to attend, in fact and correct me Rid but most SA are not only under reported but the actual "call out" can be very under curious circumstances. What dispatch is informed vs what you find on location can be a very different horse.

I know of a paper done by Dr. B. Able ( no joke thats her name) and an RN E. DeGrandpre a rape crisis center and in hospital protocol was established here in very "northern texas" ok that is a joke (University of Alberta) I will look for the paper and direction given to EMS staff.

The best advice that I have been given is just be supportive and asking any questions concerning the issue can complicate issues for the experianced investigator, and you could become a witness for court so document, document, document and try to avoid any personal comments in your reporting.

I ask 2 simple questions:

Are you physically injured ?

This is the EMS priority in my book.

Is there anything I can do to help you ?

and adds a deeper meaning to my life.

This comment is a bit disconcerting as working in EMS is not about ones deeper understand of your life it is service to the public.

If one believe's that they can heal all wounds I think maybe you have picked the wrong field. I could be wrong but you could be setting yourself up for serious disapointment down the road.

cheers

There is very little training received by pre-hospital care providers in regards to psychological emergencies, and more specifically sexual assault.

The main priority for any sexual assault victim is treatment of obvious wounds, and to maintatin a feeling of safety. Let them know that no one will harm them, and that they are safe with you.

It sounds like you did the best you could. It is hard with these types of patients, wanting to be able to say one magic word that will make all the pain go away. Unfortunately we have to learn that we can't fix everything pre-hospitally.

Most dispatch centers record all phone calls (obviously), so if your dispatch center has the ability to forward phone calls, you can call the dispatch center and ask to be put through to the hospital. If anything comes up, the recording can be pulled.

Eh.... if the dispatchers around here had to go through all that , some of them would never do anything else.

Considering how little 90% of the calls matter in the first place, I really can't justify going through dispatch every time. Our trauma center doesn't even want to hear from us unless the patient is unstable.

I know neither I nor anyone else can heal all wounds, but that doesn't mean I don't want to. It is important to me that I give the best care to every pt I can. No, I don't always do that, but I really do try to make at least a small difference in the lives of who ever is on my cot.

I hope this clears up what I was attempting to say.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.