How to fix the mess that is NJ's EMS system

I'm not against volunteers in the slightest. If the agency has no problem staffing ambulances with volunteers, then by all means continue. But something has to be done about agencies that flounder when it comes to staffing.

Even if it means someone who wants to devote their career to EMS can't because of lack of jobs?

How nice of you

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not against volunteers in the slightest. If the agency has no problem staffing ambulances with volunteers, then by all means continue. But something has to be done about agencies that flounder when it comes to staffing.

You should be. Want to know one of the bigger problems NJEMS has? Volunteers. Want to know one of the first steps that needs to be taken to turn NJEMS around? Get rid of the volunteers.

Or you could go with my original idea. High placed explosives along the Delaware and let it drift off into the Atlantic.

-be safe

Ok, so is NJ the only place with volunteers in the country? Why are NJ's volunteers any worse than the rest of the country's?

And in regards to Akroeze's comment, there are plenty of EMS jobs in NJ. No one is hurting for a job just because we still have volunteers.

Finally, its gotta be asked, is NJ the ONLY state in the country with problems in its EMS? Certainly not. FDNY is a mess, Philadelphia Fire is even worse - to name a few. Why do we constantly single out NJ?

Ok, so is NJ the only place with volunteers in the country? Why are NJ's volunteers any worse than the rest of the country's?

And in regards to Akroeze's comment, there are plenty of EMS jobs in NJ. No one is hurting for a job just because we still have volunteers.

Finally, its gotta be asked, is NJ the ONLY state in the country with problems in its EMS? Certainly not. FDNY is a mess, Philadelphia Fire is even worse - to name a few. Why do we constantly single out NJ?

Why? Because NJ is stuck in 1970.

Why? Because my family lives in NJ.

Why? Because I have swallowed too much salt water and hit my head too many times on my surfboard, and I am seriously debating moving back there.

Why? Cause I almost missed my flight to Florida cause I had to take a late call for a Trauma Alert pt. that the vollies didn't feel like going to.

They're not any worse. They're just more numerous. All volunteers do, nationwide, is hold back this profession. This isn't trying to start yet another volly vs paid thread. There are enough others out there. Search the site to find out just why vollys services should be put out of business.

There are plenty of jobs available? Perhaps because people have no desire to work there?

Naming individual departments doesn't affect the statewide system. NJEMS is broken from the ground up...state-wide! Why do people single out NJ? Perhaps they bring it on themselves. Maybe take a step outside the state and look at it from a different perspective will allow you to see it for what it really is.

-be safe

Maybe not, but from what people are saying patient's are hurting without an Ambulance responding... at least not the closest one because the vollies don't think it is 'cool enough' to respond

While i concur something needs to be done in NJ to fix the problem, I am staunchly against removing ALS from the hospitals and placing it in the hands of fire departments or local first aid squads. The first departments and first aid squads have a hard enough time staffing 2 EMTs, how can they expect to staff 2 paramedics (and yes, I'm very much in favor of keeping 2 paramedics).

Just my thoughts.

.....edited for length.

The bottom line is FD's and FAS's could HIRE Paid Paramedic providers just like a lot of VFD's on Long Island are doing...... Keeping a monopoly in the Hospital Based ALS system is preventing getting the much needed ALS to patients ... ALS for everbody i say ....

Ohh ,, and a 2 medic system is GREAT, but not at the cost of patients missing out on ALS if needed, At the very least they should do what Rockland Paramedics Do, and have a fly car with 2 full sets of ALS equipment... Then If you are transporting a diabetic that was hypoglycemic say,, and stable after being revived with D50, the other medic can go on the cardiac arrest if there is no other ALS availalbe.

I beg to differ on the "NJ Volunteers aren't any worse". They are worse, in the same sense that Long Island volunteers take whackerdom and egos to a level not easily imaginable.

In several posts I have mentioned that truly, some communities do not have the tax base to support a paid ALS service, yet most volunteer services spring up in the more affluent of towns. This is the story of most towns in New Jersey. Almost all of the communities in NJ meet or far exceed the money needed to provide paid fire and EMS, yet none of them do.

You should see some of these volunteer services sometime. They are not holding bake sales to buy a new ambulance. The amount of money that flows through some of them exceeds the budget for some small town's emergency rooms. It is a racket, pure and simple, and the worse thing is that it is a racket wrapped up in the cloak of heroism and altruism, which just makes it worse. These people are costing other's lives, and they are doing it by lining their pockets and pretending like they are helping others. I sure hope they all spend a lot of time in confessional on Sunday.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.