CHECK YOUR TRUCK !

How many of you thoroughly check your truck daily?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• Every day
    • Every week
    • Every month
    • Only when we're getting inspected
    • I don't

I'm curious how many here REALLY check their truck every shift. This came to light recently at our service when I was out of my regular truck for the day and was placed in a back up truck. In our service, one crew member from the truck they are assigned to checks their truck, and the other is assigned to check the back up truck. You are expected to check everything. You are expected to check the dates on everything, etc. We maintain very detailed check lists. However, my normal partner absent that day, I was placed with someone else who stated he had checked the back up truck (I ride double medic). After going through my bag, I was assured everything was fine with the fluids, IV's, tubing, etc that is kept on the truck at all times. However, when I checked the dates on the fluids (I trust no one as I've been burnt on checks before !) all but two bags were out of date for an excessive amount of time (like over a month). I realized they were just looking to see if the fluids were there and not making sure they were not out of date. I've had other instances where there was no oxygen in the main tank, no full portables, and a dead monitor. I even had one instance where there was no oil in the truck ! How many of you have had that experience and how did you feel about it? Did it make you always go behind your partner and check or do you just trust your partner? I trust my regular partner as I know he is as anal as I am about checking the truck, but otherwise I always go behind. Thoughts on this ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't check it stem to stern daily. I do check the controlled drugs, the monitor, suction and portable o2. Drugs other than narcs get checked monthly, and are restocked as needed. I carry my own bag, so I don't check the jump kits on the truck, at all.

Every item, every shift.................

Anything less is inexcusable!

Absolutely. That doesn't stop at equipment either. Check to see that your heater/AC is working properly. Emergency Lighting, Siren, Headlights, Taillights, Reverse Lights and the works. Turn the truck on and make sure it starts. When I start my shift, absolutely everything is checked. I've been screwed over before, and never will be as long as I completely check everything.

Just because they checked the truck last shift, doesn't mean they didn't have a late run, and forgot to restock.

With both me and my partner checking, about ten to fifteen minutes to check everything.

Every item, every shift.................

Anything less is inexcusable!

Same here.

As far as time, 10-30 minutes depending on how trashed the truck is and how much stuff I'm missing. I'm inclined to be a tad understocked for some of the multistock things (4x4s, for example), but if I'm replacing anything (e.g. the constantly unfilled spare O2 tanks), then I will bring everything else up to spec. I don't care if it's technically not my responsibility (technically speaking, in the system I worked it was the responsibility of the providers on the unit to check, but management's responsibility to restock after the check), as the provider on the unit I feel that I have the ultimate responsibility to insure that the unit is fully stocked. I don't care if calls are holding because once I leave base I know I'm not coming back unless I run out of something (e.g. we only carried one BVM of each size, so if I use one, then I'm being restocked. Period.). If the people who were supposed to stock the trucks overnight did their job properly and every time, then this wouldn't be a problem.

Out of curiosity, roughly how much time do you spend on the truck check?

Our check off takes roughly around 30-45 min. Most it takes me is an hour. I show up half hour early for shift so my truck is done prior to start of shift. This way if I get a call right at start of shift, or everyone else is out and they need a crew, we go. Works out quite nicely for our service. We can go ahead an clock in a half hour early no problem, so it's all good. If I've worked a straight through shift, and I know I've ran out of that truck all day and night, then I'll just do a quick checkoff 'cause I know exactly what's been used. Otherwise, it's everything, everytime ! My patients depend on it !

Otherwise, it's everything, everytime ! My patients depend on it !
Exactly.

My partner and myself check off the entire truck, stem to stern. It takes us roughly 1/2 hr to do it. Everything from under the hood to the rear lights gets checked. We work 24 on 72 off. I know the crew we relieve and would trust them with my life. If they say the ambulance is good it probably is. However, that does not prevent us from checking everything.

I got caught with my pants down once. I vowed never to let it happen again. Fortunately no harm was done. But I was pissed at myself. My partner said " Lesson learned" but I should have known better. :oops:

All fluids, all supplies, all batteries, without fail. We had check lists to complete for each unit. It took about 15 mins. per unit. When you know each unit and what goes where, you can glide through your check list. Now when we were busy, we would constantly be resupplying things so we knew we were good to go.

We had all our batteries numbered and rotated them at least daily.

I ride 4 straight 6 hour shifts ( 24 hours) with a new partner every shift.

When I first get in, I check EVERYTHING!!! All bags, the boards, the collars, the dressings, tapes, portable/main suction, portable O2 tanks, main tank, all lights, air conditioning, siren, properly fitting extrication jackets w/ helmets, ect. That truck is MY office for the next 24 hours.

I do it systematically though because I could be dispatched as soon as I start my checkoff. First with the important stuff: Oxygen, portable and main suction, BVM and other airway supplies, AED, BSI, stretcher and it's belts, fuel. Then I go and investigate everything in the trunk. The whole check, with the help of my partner, takes no more than an hour. Then we go eat.

I accompany incoming partners to check the rig and almost dare them to find something missing or wrong, unless I already know something hasn't been replaced because I just got back from a call. Its a good way to keep me on my toes and for them to try to find something missing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.