types of paramedic classes

I know that some paramedic programs are run out of hospitals, while others are done through community colleges. What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of each type of program? Also, why do fire academies usually offer EMT-B classes but not paramedic training?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as the classes go most, if not all states have a minimum requirement for hours as well as curriculum. As for what is the difference between hospital vs private instructor classes. I have found that in my experience the hospital classes tend to have better budgets and you get more experience also in most cases you can get college credit for them, but they can sometimes be very "clinical " in feeling. They do a very poor job of carrying on the tradition of the craft.

To answer the second part of your question. Fire Academy's offer or rather mandate the EMT-B out of necessity. They do it so their guys can respond to calls as medical first response to increase their call volume. It is my belief that it takes a special kind of person to be a Firefighter and in most cases the same the type of person does not want to become a Paramedic or even an EMT for that matter.

Hope that helped

all depends on what you want to do with your medic. do you want to just work the field, then go to a 13 month quick program and get working. If you are looking for a way to climb the ladder into management, alot of companies (and state agencies) require a degree. Choose wisely...

all depends on what you want to do with your medic. do you want to just work the field, then go to a 13 month quick program and get working. If you are looking for a way to climb the ladder into management, a lot of companies (and state agencies) require a degree. Choose wisely...
Are you serious? Why wouldn't a field paramedic require a sound degreed education? :?

OP, disregard the advice given by sevenball. Continue on and get your College Paramedic degree. You will be a better provider for it.

As for why the FD requires EMT-B, I believe Calvair nailed it. He is absolutely correct in his observation.

I agree with JakeEMT, you would be a fool to not get a degree as a paramedic, and I am starting to see some states mandate that. If we are ever to truly be treated as professionals by the medical community then we have to better educate ourselves by getting that little piece of paper.

On a stranger note , I never considered 13 months the "fast track" If you look at most nursing programs they are as long as ours if you subtract the summer break they get. In our state they have fast track classes that are like 5 months.. That is insane!

On a different note are there any other states that are doing that insta-medic program where you go from emt right into medic class even before you have your emt license? I hate that.....

so explain to me why passing english and creative writing classes makes me a better paramedic? I'd rather focus on my paramedic studies, than have to make room for all the other junk that a degree program offers. I am attending college for Emergency Management, only because I want to go higher than field Supervisor, but, I've never had to recite Robert Frost to a pt. in order to revive them. I simply do not see the clinical benefit of a degree. I contend that the only reason to have a degree in Paramedicine (more commonly known as Associates in Science), is to go into management.

Is a firefighter worth more if he has a degree? I think not. Every Firefighter I know of, regardless of degree, still attends the fire academy. Same thing that he/she went through in college to obtain their fire science degree. In fact, in the area that I work, Fire departments prefer their recruits NOT to have degrees in their field, and yet, they are still considered to be professional.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Robert Frost

My classes were through the resource hospital. But you got credit with the local community college. Whether you were a volunteer, private amb. serv., or paid fire dept, you were all in the same class and clinical settings. It worked out great, everybody knew almost everybody and worked well together for the most part.

With Fire Academies, their main focus is on fire fighting. Most states make it mandatory for fire fighters to be at least certified at a basic level and that's it. So cadets are covered for whatever state they are working. Becoming a Paramedic is something extra. Many Fire Depts. that run Advanced EMS will quickly point out that you are a Fire Fighter first and foremost. That's one reason I'm for a Fire Dept. to have a EMS division. But they would still have the same duties as before, but considered as back up fire fighters. IMHO. (Nobody throw anything at me, please)

"Is a firefighter worth more if he has a degree? I think not. Every Firefighter I know of, regardless of degree, still attends the fire academy. "

while this is correct firefighters with degrees get paid more to start and also get promoted faster in larger departments

"so explain to me why passing english and creative writing classes makes me a better paramedic? I'd rather focus on my paramedic studies, than have to make room for all the other junk that a degree program offers. "

Well those same classes dont help a nurse but having the degree, the piece of paper that says you did your time, Does..

Besides most degree programs i have seen require A&P 1 and 2 which is an incredible help as far as the paramedic curriculum goes. On the same note Paramedicine is a progressive field and requires as much education as possible just to keep with the curve

"Well those same classes dont help a nurse but having the degree, the piece of paper that says you did your time, Does..

So you agree that a degree is simply a piece of paper that proves you have "done your time". I'm glad we see eye to eye on this...

I believe we now have two active threads with newbies promoting volunteer EMS and claiming that increased education is useless.

What has happened in the last few weeks I've been away? Just two months ago, those newbies never would have made it up to 20 posts before running away crying.

Where is DustDevil when we need him?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.