Central Line & Port Access

1EMT-P

How many of you are allowed to access patient's central lines & ports in the field? I was talking with some friends of mine and they told me that they are not allowed to access patient's central lines and/or ports in the field.

We can as well. Strange how I can't have morphine without consult for chest pain but I can access a central line or infusion port if I have to. I'll probably never understand these protocols.

As far as accessing those devices, I really hate to do it. Ambulances are gross, and regardless of how sterile I hope I can make the field, it will never be anything more than really aseptic. Some of our ER nurses feel the exact same way about the ER environment. Not to say I haven't done it and wouldn't do it again if my patient really needed a medication or fluid. I just spend an extra ten seconds making sure the benefits of access outweigh the risks.

We are also aloud to access central lines and ports, although I haven't as yet had to do this ( I am however, required to show proficiency in this skill every 6 months). I agree that the back of an ambulance is the most sterile of environments. Just remember to perform the procedure correctly and be as sterile as possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.