firefighting

Hey Richard, no offense intended, but I would like to recommend a different term than to "advance" from EMT/Paramedic to FF.... When you want to move from EMS to Fire within the same department, a more appropriate term would be a "Lateral" move.

"Advance" means to move UP in a department and moving from Medic to FF is definitely is NOT an advance. Id be more than a lil POed if a FF was making more than me as a Medic!

Hey Richard, no offense intended, but I would like to recommend a different term than to "advance" from EMT/Paramedic to FF.... When you want to move from EMS to Fire within the same department, a more appropriate term would be a "Lateral" move.

"Advance" means to move UP in a department and moving from Medic to FF is definitely is NOT an advance. Id be more than a lil POed if a FF was making more than me as a Medic!

Guess you should be POed. The few Fire services that I know of that have non-FF paramedics pay them less than the FF's.

SOOOOoooooooooooo typical..... one is charged with saving a life, the other is charged with saving a foundation..... and who gets paid more? I guess brawn is more valuable than brains :shrugs:

Actually, I made no indication of the sarcasm of using the word "Advance" as I did.

You all know your local/county/state or provence/country's standards for achieving EMT, and then Paramedic level of certification or licensure. Now, step back in responsibility by becoming an FDNY Fire Fighter, who only has to know, or practice, as a New York State Certified First Responder who can defibrillate a patient.

The FDNY's concept of "Advancing to the level of Fire Fighter" is a hold-over from former FDNY Commissioner Tom Von Essen, who got the job for getting Fire Fighter votes for Giuliani, when Von Essen was the president of the FDNY IAFF chapter. Tommy hated EMS, to the point that he told the public to do what he would do if they found an EMT or Paramedic sleeping in the cab of an ambulance while between calls: Bash the vehicle's windshield with a baseball bat!

The sensors probably won't let me put in my thoughts on a municipal agency commissioner who advocates violence against specific branches of that agency, so go to town with the nasty comments about the guy, on your own.

Also, I checked back: did you notice that I had the word "advance" in quotation marks?

I hope I didnt offend you with my comments. I was fully in tune with the sarcasm, but I had just got done with a post that had me rather irritated where there were a few people beleiving that EMS should ONLY be run by Fire...... I felt obligated to point out the "wonderful" EMS services provided by such departments as FDNY, LA, DC, Phili, and others....

We are both on the same page, and no offense was intended whatsoever! Actually, there were others on here I was hoping to push some buttons with because old basics like us have alot more to offer than some of these young whippersnapper hosedraggers. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.