what would you do at this mva

What would you have done?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• Not pulled over
    • Just called a tow truck
    • Mentioned the possible DWI when calling the police

Ironic that this should happen to me. I was driving down a fairly busy road today and noticed that a van had gone off the road and crashed into a ditch. I pulled over ahead of the van to see if anyone was injured or in need of assistance.

The person in the van stepped out and said that he's ok and just needs a tow truck, and asked me if I could call for one because his cell phone (in his hand) is dead.

I said sure, and asked if he knew a number. He said no. I asked if he knew what insurance he had (thinking of how Geico gave me a number to call), and he said no. I grew a little suspicious, and started to pick up on a smell of alcohol. He seemed a little sluggish and in a weird mood, and had also driven his car off the road.

Not knowing what to do, I called information. Somehow, they didn't know of any tow truck within a 50 mile radius. Knowing that's not true, I called the local police department. They gave me a number, which I called and asked for the tow. To the tow company I mentioned what I had found with the scent/sluggishness/etc. and they said to call the PD back and have someone check it out. I did that.

Now I feel really guilty. On one hand, the guy's car was still in ok shape and his plan was just to get towed out of hte ditch and drive on. If he did that, maybe his next victim would be a person and not a bush. I would be in part responsible if G-d forbid anything like that happened. On the other hand, the guy never asked me to pull over, and I'm no police officer. I pulled over to help, and ended up possibly (I say possibly because I may be wrong) screwing the guy over.

What would you have done?

I would have called the police had I of smelled alcohol. You are right, the next time it could have been a person,not a bush.

me 2. i would have said i think i have a number in my truck, ill be right back, and called 911 and reported the accident and told them i thought they should be supecious of alcohol.

no youre not the police and no he didnt ask you to stop, but who cares. if the dude was drunk he should go to jail, if he is just an idiot and hadent showered in a couple days, the the police will be there to direct traffic around the scene while the tow truck driver pulls the van out.

drunk or not, callin the police on an accident is a win/win situation.

You did the right & legal thing .. may be even protecting your own medical license.

Why feel bad.. the jerk had ETOH, he is responsible for it not you. If he does not pass the sobriety test or breath analyzer.. he will not be arrested. Would you had felt better if he had drove & had another MVA or slaughtered a family ?

You did not place him behind the wheel, again responsibility.

I personally do not change my care for drunk driver... but, I sure do not have any extra compassion.. personally, I have seen too many wipe out families.

I f I see possible drunk drivers on the highway or reckless behavior I report them to the Police as soon as possible.

You would not want to know.. how I wish justice could be served to them...

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

As a bystander with emt training, you are still required (usually by law) to report all accidents to the proper authority. In this case, a call to the local 911 or comm center should get things rolling. Don't forget, there are other reasons than alcohol for a person to act "drunk". You may have had a diabetic emergency on your hands, or the person could have had a head injury from the mvc or any other number of problems. The main thing is...CYA...if you are not on duty or responding as a member of the community response team (fire, pd, ems). I know etoh has a distinctive odor, but as a paralegal, I can tell you that if you can't prove to the layperson that you KNOW alcohol when you smell it, you're opening yourself up to civil liability if you tell an authority that you smelled alcohol. By all means relay your observations but not your suspicions. In short, activate 911, be able to give them a more detailed sit rep than the layperson and assist where you can.

I know etoh has a distinctive odor, but as a paralegal, I can tell you that if you can't prove to the layperson that you KNOW alcohol when you smell it, you're opening yourself up to civil liability if you tell an authority that you smelled alcohol.

what do you mean?

Because, some states say you can not legally tell alcohol odor on someones breath ... it could be other sources.

So I chart " of ETOH smell" or "fruity odor"... if they admit to drinking.. I document "patient admits intake of alcohol beverage"...

So check local laws & policies..

be safe,

Ridryder 911

I, too, would have notified someone. I work part-time for a wrecker service. We cannot move the vehicle until law enforcement has been on scene and OK's us to do so. As an EMT, I wouldn't want to be responsible for sending him on his way and then have another accident, possibly killing someone. Good Call.

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, People know that drinking impairs their ability to react.. I would of called local PD and informed them of what had happened, And that by the way he was acting that maybe an officer should talk to him up close and personal. I try not to say that a person is drunk I have no way to tell other than the obvious car in the ditch, stumbling, smell of ETOH, But I just let the officer know to get close enough to smell. Trust me if you can smell it so can the officer. That way it pushes the responsibility on someone else. Yet you helped out..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.