For newer basics only please...

Hey all. I saw this video and thought it might make a decent scenario for the more inexperienced basics or basic students.

If you are already sure what to do, please hold back and let those that are not as sure answer first. I'd like this to be an exercise in building their personal logic trees as opposed to simply an explanation of correct procedures.

http://www.flurl.com/item/Legless_dude_ble...cident_u_328865

This is a pretty poor video, and it will force us to draw some major conclusions, but I thought it might be fun. I'll make up, or talk one of the smarter people into making up, specific patient presentations should this make it that far.

For now:

You are the first ambulance to arrive on scene. Anyone else you see here is assumed to be a civilian without any type of medical training. You are a basic/basic unit with only those appropriate supplies on board.

Let's start with....

What are your immediate impressions?

What are your immediate concerns?

What are your immediate responsibilities?

Just take a minute and think it through, don't take anything for granted, and assume that everyone on scene is related/married to a lawyer. :wink:

Dwayne

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayne, I know I am currently an Intermediate, but I still hold a basic card, as it is still in date, so I guess I am a basic too. Since nobody has, I will start off this thread :lol:

What are your immediate impressions?

This is very ungood.

What are your immediate concerns?

Two concerns that enter my min are that I have two critical patients and we need to get a paramedic intercept and the patients delivered to a trauma center in a timely manner.

What are your immediate responsibilities?

My safety.

I know my answers are short and simple, but I think they are relevant to the video/scenario. Take it from here folks !

Dwayne, I know this was intended for newer basics, but I am young, so I guess I am still kind of new !

they are dead, finish up the paperwork and go back in service.

They're not dead. This was my call. She's still alive as of this writing, and this was back in March. If a 91 year old can survive it, so can you.

[web:107f3b44ea]http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6018245[/web:107f3b44ea]

They're not dead. This was my call. She's still alive as of this writing, and this was back in March. If a 91 year old can survive it, so can you.

[web:59314c88ef]http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6018245[/web:59314c88ef]

Kudos for you for saving her. My hats off to you. It's amazing what the body can do when traumatized that way.

I had a similar call where a kid was all but dead due to a head injury(large 6inch elliptical piece of skull pushed into the brain) yet he survived.

What happened to the 2nd victim?

First off. Scene Safety. Traffic needs to be stopped, and ambulance parked accordingly. My partner would check the cars for additional patients possibly trapped inside. Get the public away. I start triage. Once I find more than 1 serious injury, call for additional units. Quickly continue triage, and begin treatment on Immediate Treats.

The severed leg guy needs ALS. Can't really tell all that much by the video, but I'd think the leg would be bleeding heavily. Quickly asses Airway, and Breathing. The guy is yelling, so you know he is breathing, so move on to circulation. Large Trauma Dressing, if pressure doesn't stop it, which is likely, pressure point, and consider a tourniquet for the leg. C-Spine and Go. Or if multiple patients, prepare patient for transport, and give to the first responding unit.

You'll also want to see if you can find the guy's leg, but that's secondary to other patients.

I am new to EMS, and am a basic, and appreciate this scenario Dwayne. Looking forward to some constructive criticism, and things I missed. By the way, congratulations Paramedic Dwayne!

Actually, both of them do look pretty dead, dude.

To be fair, yours was talking. If these guys are too, then hell yeah, they get everything. But I'd be shocked if either one of these two have a pulse on EMS arrival (which hasn't happened as of the end of the video).

No pulse, my treatment will be confirmation of asystole in three leads and a white sheet.

Dwayne, I know this was intended for newer basics, but I am young, so I guess I am still kind of new !

No problem Matty, no one was playing and you made good points without ruining it for the new folks...

Dwayne

First off. Scene Safety. Traffic needs to be stopped, and ambulance parked accordingly. My partner would check the cars for additional patients possibly trapped inside. Get the public away. I start triage. Once I find more than 1 serious injury, call for additional units. Quickly continue triage, and begin treatment on Immediate Treats.

Based on the scene, are you going to wait until you finish triage to order additional units? How many, of what type are you going to order? How fast are you going to bring them?

The severed leg guy needs ALS. Can't really tell all that much by the video, but I'd think the leg would be bleeding heavily. Quickly asses Airway, and Breathing. The guy is yelling, so you know he is breathing, so move on to circulation. Large Trauma Dressing, if pressure doesn't stop it, which is likely, pressure point, and consider a tourniquet for the leg. C-Spine and Go.

Ok, are you going to do this yourself, delegate to your partner, what order are you going to treat and package him in? Should you consider that s/he might have other injuries besides the missing leg(s)? How are you going to delegate your resources?

Or if multiple patients, prepare patient for transport, and give to the first responding unit.

The patients are as we see in the video. So what order do you think you'll treat, and then board, and then assign to ambulances?

I am new to EMS, and am a basic, and appreciate this scenario Dwayne. Looking forward to some constructive criticism, and things I missed.

Good for you! When I was a basic, and then a new medic student, I lived for these scenarios! Few participate, so it's hard to get people to post them...but as I've recieved...now I'll make an effort to do my part. Great response by the way!

By the way, congratulations Paramedic Dwayne!

Thanks man, it was a hell of a ride! I look forward to all of us taking it with you next!

Dwayne

[web:671a12b19e]http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6018245[/web:671a12b19e]

Asys, you sure it's the same call? There seem to be several vehicles as well as patients in the video, as well as they all seem to be speaking russian...? (As based on my recollection from every pre 80's war movie I've ever seen) Only one woman hit by a truck in the article...unless I'm missing something...

Dwayne