Say Goodbye to Cleveland EMS

Dustdevil

The City of Cleveland:  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• Is trying to save lives.
    • Is trying to save firemonkey jobs.
    • Is trying to save lives and firemonkey jobs.
    • Has no friggin' clue what they are doing.

The list includes assaults, severe respiratory attacks, burns, choking, stabbings, accidents and emergency baby deliveries

Careful, the probie might not get his picture in the paper for helping to deliver the baby if they don't respond to these calls anymore.

Fire here doesn't go to shootings, stabbings, asthma, childbirth, diabetics, or lower priortity calls unless accident, fire or extrication needed. They do go to chest pain, sob, cardiac arrest, unconscious calls.

It seems that the lower acuity calls are what is tying up EMS resources there, perhaps instead of a non-transport ALS capable fire truck they should send fire to all minor illness calls, ass aches, nausea/vomiting, psych's, minor injuries etc, and they can provide basic first aid until a transport unit becomes available, leaving the medics clear for the higher priority calls, assuming increasing EMS staffing isn't going to happen. After all, if fire really wants to help, this would be a step in the right direction.

I think this says it all

The fire union said it will continue to fight against the new policy.

Apparently the city is doing this

Cleveland Public Safety Director Marty Flask said the city is adjusting resources and will lean more heavily on EMS for medical calls, freeing up fire crews for other emergencies.

Maybe we ought to give Cleveland a little break. I mean, if the above is what they are really reaching towards then I have to hand it to them. It is about time everyone used their resources efficiently.

I still say they should put an ambulance near where they put the ALS engine if that is where they feel "a lot of high priority calls originate from."

I delivered a baby the other day. Where's my news story? And it was during EMS week too! Maybe next time I'll call for the firemen so it'll get some publicity. "Cental, send me suppression for good PR value..." Ha ha.

Congrats on the baby thing. Just remember, according to some it's not a good thing to crave recognition. But maybe if you had just held her legs and talked to her you would have gotten your picture in the paper.

Headline reads:

Grizzled ole medic delivers baby without green firefighters help. Mom and new firefighter did all the work, Medic just caught the baby.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.