B.C. new EMR-ACP through JIBC

bosc

we still have the 'zero-to-hero' program in alberta.

Where? It was my understanding that, in Alberta, you had to work your way up, step-by-step, from EMR, to EMT-A, to EMT-P.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where? It was my understanding that, in Alberta, you had to work your way up, step-by-step, from EMR, to EMT-A, to EMT-P.

You do have to go through all the steps in Alberta. The zero to hero programs in Alberta take you from EMR to EMT-A to EMT-P in one continuous stretch. No minimum patient contacts in between the levels of license.

• 4 weeks later...
What is the zero to hero program?

A "zero to hero" program takes someone with no EMS experience at any level to the ACP (EMT-P for Alta. or the US) level in one contiguous stretch.

• 1 month later...

I think doing your PCP is a great idea but if it is not a prereq...who cares..you wanna be a medic, be a medic!

MDKEMT

I think doing your PCP is a great idea but if it is not a prereq...who cares..you wanna be a medic, be a medic!

MDKEMT

You're absolutely right and that is what I will be doing. What has my hackles up is the fact that I've now spent a significant amount of time and money doing a course that won't really help me get there. I have a good portion of the new pre-reqs from previous education and could have completed all of them in the time I've now spent doing my PCP.

Between the tuition, cost of living out, and income lost I could have put a significant amount of money away to cover the cost of doing the ACP. I don't think doing the PCP program has been a waste of time but it sure feels like it at this point.

• 1 month later...

Might be kind of hard to be a truly good ALS provider you can be without having BLS experience. Helps to have ALS exposure as well while you're at the EMT level. Alberta has some of the highest standards for prehospital care in the country. Why wouldn't someone want to give themselves a chance to be a good EMT and understand a little ALS before they continue on?

Also in Alberta one cannot call themselves an EMR, EMT or EMT-P without having passed the ACoP exam and received a reg # at their specific level.

You do have to go through all the steps in Alberta. The zero to hero programs in Alberta take you from EMR to EMT-A to EMT-P in one continuous stretch. No minimum patient contacts in between the levels of license.

That's what BC -- and the rest of Canadia and the U.S. too -- ought to be doing. It is the very best of all possible educational systems. Those "minimum patient contacts" will give you a LOT more experiential benefits if you have a solid foundation of understanding in your brain before you experience them. That way, it takes a lot fewer patient contacts to achieve competence, because you learn so much more on each contact.

This is simple, folks, and I really don't understand how anyone can be so dense as to not get it. An education is something you build, just like a house. That means that, in order to achieve the very best results, you must first build a solid foundation upon which to build permanent understanding. If you star nailing 2x4s together before you have established that foundation, you're going to spend the rest of your career in a shaky shell of an education, and it will take you much, much longer than others to achieve the competence and understanding you seek.

Yeah, I know everyone is in a really big hurry to put on that uniform and go play with the siren and see gross stuff. And it really rocks if you can do all that with just 80 hours of monkey training. But by putting the cart before the horse in this respect, you're not just screwing yourself. You're screwing the profession, and you're screwing your patients. The zero-to-hero schools are the only ones that seem to have it right.

And while we're talking here, WTF is the JI running all this for anyhow? WTF has "justice" got to do with healthcare? Maybe I'll go up there and start a paramedic school at the Culinary Institute. At least that school has something to do with health. :roll:

Alberta has some of the highest standards for prehospital care in the country.

Ummm... in a word... No.

Look at Sask and Ontario.... in fact after you finish the crash course alberta calls EMT, there are no standards at all outside of a self assessment on the ACoP website.

Heck they won't even call you a PCP like your certificate says you are, they hold us back to the old EMT.

Why wouldn't someone want to give themselves a chance to be a good EMT and understand a little ALS before they continue on?

Because every minute you spend farking around at the bls level, you are learning new bad habits to bring to paramedic school, not to mention the numerous patients you cheat out of proper care.

Also in Alberta one cannot call themselves an EMR, EMT or EMT-P without having passed the ACoP exam and received a reg # at their specific level

One time exams suck!

There should be at least 5 year exams.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.