The Non Existence of EMS

Ventmedic...I'm really not sure how you're coming up with some of your replies and why you have such an issue with this. Getting more exposure for EMS is wrong...why? Starting a relationship with local media is wrong...why? It won't be worth it...why? My only point is that working with the media, giving out press releases, letting them know that you exist will more than likely pay off in the end, and, if done properly, be a large benefit down the road in helping to make changes with EMS (that's way down the road).

And no, people in my area aren't extremely educated about EMS, and I'll go ahead and say that people in Florida aren't either; where do most people get their info from? TV and to a lesser extent newspapers and the internet. If the media is misrepresenting what is done in EMS (which they are) then how do you expect people to actually learn more? And if people don't know anything about something, then why should they care about it?

This isn't about knowing that an ambulance has paramedics on it, but about knowing what paramedics can actually do and why they are needed, as well as what an EMS agency does, how it's funded, etc etc etc.

You've got way to much faith in the average person's knowledge about emergency services in general I do believe.

My quote from an earlier post: Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:55 pm

I agree if you want to put out accurate information about who and what you are you should have a Public information system in place.

I don't think you actually read any of my posts. I have no issue with the media since as I pointed out they have been instrumental for achieving many milestones in our EMS systems.

My posts aren't about some TV show but about "real life stuff" like taxes and political battles to achieve the systems that are in place and still evolving. You seem to be confusing fiction with the actual news. Real life issues that affect households and people living on fixed incomes do attract the attention of many citizens and they do watch the news shows. And, yes, healthcare issues including EMS are discussed by educated and/or informed people. Maybe you should try listening to the people in the district you serve instead of trying to show off your resume with the "it's all about me" attitude. Educating people in little ways like community CPR or fire safety give the people a more personal view of what you do and who you are more than a chest thumping article. It also gives them a sense that you might actually care about their welfare and not "what do they want now".

You want to talk about how great it would be if this system was in place or if we had that or whatever. My point is, if you don't know the answers yourself, don't invite the public in too soon. You could end up looking very silly. Adults do know the "kid in a candy store" routine.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. So far my only real point has been that giving information to the media and developing a relationship with them is a good thing and will pay off if done right. You just seem to disagree...

And don't worry, I read all of each of your posts...each just seems to say the same thing...that working with the media really isn't worth it because it won't be done right, because it won't help educate the public, because they (the pubic) already know enough (now that's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard) and so forth. Far as confusing TV with reality...wake up and take your head out from the sand sally! Where do you think the average person gets most of their info from? And no, I'm not talking about TV news either. Having an effective way to disseminate info would help counteract this.

Apparently we do both agree that having a PIO who knows what they're doing is a good thing. And it's also apparent that I think that the PIO should actually give out information while you think they should give out...what exactly?

Huh. So far my only real point has been that giving information to the media and developing a relationship with them is a good thing and will pay off if done right. You just seem to disagree...

Apparently we do both agree that having a PIO who knows what they're doing is a good thing. And it's also apparent that I think that the PIO should actually give out information while you think they should give out...what exactly?

Give out? Whatever you want them to know whether it is about who was on scene or what will actually happen when they vote for a trauma tax amendment? Skilled PIOs can educate the public very effectively with good press releases with different news items. The PIO and the media can be be very useful together. How hard is that for you to understand?

Now, did you read the OP's post that started this thread to see what lead to my statement?

You are just being argumentative about the same points over and over. And, you are contradicting your own arguments against me.

You must not be paying to much attention...or Florida really is the pits when it comes to education. PIO=good thing. Working with the media=good thing. Clear enough?

Show me where I've contradicted myself please. And as for arguing the same point over and over...um...yeah...kind of like you in arguing against giving info to the media.

Your first post said exactly squat, so how is it relevant? Your first reply to scaramedic just said the same thing you keep saying; the media isn't worth it, it won't help, the public knows enough and people shouldn't look for recognition for their actions (that I more or less agree with, but it's not what I'm talking about).

Everything I've been saying relates directly to what the OP asked. Everything you've said...not so much.

Skilled PIOs can educate the public very effectively with good press releases with different news items. The PIO and the media can be be very useful together. How hard is that for you to understand?

Dear god, what have I been saying this whole time? Did you even read any of my posts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.