Running Rescuers

firedoc5

CINCINNATI -- If there's such a thing as a good time and place to have a heart attack, a Cincinnati man probably had one of the better ones during the Flying Pig Marathon Sunday.

Bobby Edwards, 55, was running near mile marker 10 when he collapsed and stopped breathing.

But only steps behind him were a group of firefighters and paramedics who were also running in the marathon.

Patrick Conrey was running in firefighter turnout gear with a group of Cincinnati firefighters and paramedics to raise money for the families of Oscar Armstrong, Robin Broxterman and Brian Schira, all firefighters who died in the line of duty.

That goal quickly took a back seat as the group came upon Edwards.

"We rendered aid to him. We found a man who was unresponsive," Conrey said.

"We roll him over and realize he's not breathing enough, he's in anagonal respiration. We checked a pulse, there's no pulse, so we rendered CPR," Cincinnati firefighter Kory McDonald said.

The group performed CPR until an ambulance arrived, aid that was critical to Edwards' future.

"Time is muscle. If nothing is done, what quality of life are you going to bring back?" McDonald said.

After Edwards was safely on his way to University Hospital, the firefighters went back to running -- and finishing -- the marathon.

"Today is definitely something special. Just Pat coming up here doing what he did for Oscar Armstrong and Capt. Broxeterman's kids. That's special itself, then for us to help someone firsthand in the marathon, it's a good thing," McDonald said.

"Today is one of those days I will take to my grave," Conrey said.

Edwards is expected to make a full recovery.

Patrick Conrey was running in firefighter turnout gear...

Whacker!!! :D

But seriously, good job by those guys. :thumbright:

Whacker!!! :D

But seriously, good job by those guys. :thumbright:

I think the turnout gear is a little too much. :tongue3:

I don't know. Don't necessarily dismiss those who do so as Wankers, as there just might be a background story you are unaware of.

I recall reading, from multiple sources, of LEOs, from various jurisdictions, in many different marathon races, running in full uniform of the day, including sidearm and radio.

The reported theory was supposed to have been that's how the LEO would have been attired while chasing an alleged perpetrator, so why not a marathon?

As for running a race in full fire fighting attire, either "bunker", "turnout" or whatever it is called by you, we will always have the tale of the FDNY fire fighter, who ran through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, between Brooklyn and the Battery Park section of Manhattan. The fire fighter did just that, to join up with his company comrades, and, unfortunately, died with them when the World Trade Center fell on them.

There is a race to raise funds for a WTC victims survivors group now, each year, run through the tunnel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.