Best State/County for EMS....Does this place even exist?

I have worked in three states over the past 20 years. Texas is by far the best of the three, as fas as pay and autonomy in the field. Whatever you do, do not go to North Carolina. You can qualify for food stamps working there fulltime if you have a family, and they are (in general) about a decade behind the rest of the country with their EMS systems. Diversity in types of calls is pretty consistent wherever you go.
Dude, I work in North Carolina and have no problem providing for my family. I think you need to take a second look. From what I've read here at EMT City, NC is far ahead of quite a few States in regards to education ( read Degree Paramedic Programmes) and Scope. Very few " Mother may I " systems here. Of course, if you were in Podunk NC, I can see your point. Ever here of Wake County EMS?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm thinking he may have accidentally confused North Carolina with Louisiana. The things he said about NC sound exactly like Louisiana, except that Louisiana is two decades behind the rest of the world, not just one, lol.

In Texas, the systems generally get better the farther south you go. It starts getting good just north of Austin, but gets crappy again around San Antonio. That band of awesomeness stretches from west to east across the centre of the state. In the east, it stops at Houston. Houston and San Antonio both suck. In fact, Austin is the only major metropolis in the state with good EMS. Besides them, most of the good EMS is in the suburban-semi-rural areas. Lots of county-wide services here, many hospital based, that are usually pretty good to work for. Williamson County (north Austin) and Montgomery County (north Houston) are two of the better ones, and are pretty competetive. I don't think either of them hire Basics. Austin doesn't. That's one thing that makes them so good, lol.

I have worked in three states over the past 20 years. Texas is by far the best of the three, as fas as pay and autonomy in the field. Whatever you do, do not go to North Carolina. You can qualify for food stamps working there fulltime if you have a family, and they are (in general) about a decade behind the rest of the country with their EMS systems. Diversity in types of calls is pretty consistent wherever you go.

Dude, where did you work? I have not seen the pay as bad as you say it is. Maybe if you were in one of the intermediate systems, or position. Paramedics in NC can provide for their family without food stamps.

Jake brought up a good system. I would suggest to the OP to check out the site, view the protocols, and contact them. They are always willing to talk with potential employees. www.wakeems.com I will also say that if you look at the Raleigh area (Raleigh is in Wake Co.) that it is a great place to live, its growing, and really a great place to be a medical professional.

I will also say that if you look at the Raleigh area (Raleigh is in Wake Co.) that it is a great place to live...

Word. Their lacrosse parties are legendary! :)

Word. Their lacrosse parties are legendary! :lol:

Dust, don't confuse Durham County and the City of Durham with the sovereign County of Wake and Raleigh. Raleigh only wishes they had Duke instead of NC State. :lol:

You say you're an aspiring firefighter/medic, so why would you want to leave CA? There are obviously lots of opportunities here for people who want to do both.

You may also want to be sure that you'll be happy leaving So Cal. If you're used to the weather/culture/lifestyle, you might get homesick.

Dust, don't confuse Durham County and the City of Durham with the sovereign County of Wake and Raleigh. Raleigh only wishes they had Duke instead of NC State. :lol:

Aw, com'on, We had to give Durham something. We have everything else ! :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.