Best State/County for EMS....Does this place even exist?

I would like to get some ideas as to where the best State or County would be for Medics to work in. A place that offers not only a good range of calls, but a good scope, overall decent hospitals, and good pay. Aside from that, a place where medics can work as a career medic and still be able to raise a family, own a home, and have a few toys. Being in southern california the odds of a career medic doing well and making a living outside the fire department are quite slim. Ventura County AMR seems to treat there employees quite well and I see alot of young guys go into a career medic position with AMR Ventura County. I am 21 years old, and in southern california with the way our economy is going; my hopes and dreams of raising a family and owning a home and being a paramedic are quickly drifiting away. Does this place even exist....a place where medics are respected and are seen as pre-hospital "doctors" if you will?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New Jersey is awesome!

I'm kidding!

Seriously, if you're on the West Coast, I hear many good things about EMS in Oregon, particularly in the Seattle area. Look into that if that interests you.

There's a few threads on this, you might try to do a search (though honestly I hardly find anything with the search function except a hundred unrelated posts all within the last couple weeks or so).

But anyway, I hear good things about Seattle area and a few places in Texas...

Johnson County Kansas.

at least 6 level II or I trauma centers

many other good smaller hospitals

no requirement to live in Johnson County

Career track is excellent

Lots of resources available to the EMS agencies. This is a county that has more money than most others and really puts it to good use.

Training is TOP Notch, Bill Toon is a excellent educator as well as the other educators.

Outrageous amount of equipment issued to you, full bunker gear. You are not housed on the street corners you get to actually hit the bed at night unless you get calls.

www.jocoems.org

Seriously, if you're on the West Coast, I hear many good things about EMS in Oregon, particularly in the Seattle area. Look into that if that interests you.

LOL! "Hear" is the operative term there. It's nonsense. Not too many non-fire Seattle area medics are happy. They certainly don't have the autonomy, salary, and career options that the original poster was asking about.

If you are interested in Seattle, check into King County Medic One before you do your paramedic school. Simply because if you do get hired by them, you will have to go through their paramedic school before you are allowed to work.

Idaho has some pretty progressive systems. Ada county jumps to mind, but that comes from a distant observers view. There is a lot to choose from, and it really depends on what else you like to deal with.

I prefer rural systems with minimal communication ability, but the pay tends to blow the further you get from a receiving facility. Any body can manage a patient for a few minutes. Taking care of someone for 45 minutes or more takes some real ability. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.