Signatures, or the lack thereof

JPINFV

Do you always get the requested signatures?  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes (or document if not possible [e.g. patient unable to sign])
    • No
    • Depends

This is kinda of a spin off from another thread, but I've definitely saw it with my coworkers as well, so I might as well ask here.

Why do providers have so much trouble getting signatures? It takes all of 5 seconds to either get or document (patient unable to sign), but it seems that it is one of the things that providers complain the most about. Are EMS personnel really this lazy that they can't ask their patient and who ever is accepting care for a signature? Are there other issues that I seem to just be missing with this one?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never taken me five seconds to get a signature.

You hand them the clip board and pen (and wince as they contaminate both).

They fumble to secure it on their lap properly, and find where they're supposed to sign (where you finger is).

Most aren't in great shape, so they struggle to sign with jittery hands, trying to make it as perfect as possible. I tell them initials are fine just to make it easier, but they haven't signed anything in a decade and want the accomplishment of signing their entire name.

If you're talking while they sign, they'll stop and look up, then have to re-find the signing box (with the X right next to it).

Then you have to point to the Privacy Notice box and explain that and re-do the process.

Then, depending on the patient, you have to wrap wrap the pen in your glove and/or set the clip board down in a safe place to decon it before continuing paperwork.

Honestly, unless they're in good shape and they're there for a broken toe, I'd say more than half the time it's this whole little one minute ordeal. It's not that one's lazy about doing it, but there's this need to avoid the one minute of standing there hanging on each pen stroke waiting for the patient to finish, plus any decon issues after.

And now we also have to get a nurse's signature no matter what. Then you have to get the medical record number. It all turns into one big process I hate to do.

But we ALWAYS get either signature or mark why they couldn't...if not it gets kicked back to us. One warning, second time is a write-up.

Hmmmm, signatures are pretty low on my list of compliants. I dont find it all that tricky to get patients to make their mark.

Working in Alberta, I've never needed to get a signature from a nurse or doc. I simply note when and where I dropped the patient off, and carry on with my day.

A lot of the time I have no need for signatures. In British Columbia you only need a patient signature if they refuse transport. If you leave a patient in police custody you need the peace officer to sign for them. Physician signatures are only required if you perform an invasive procedure or administer medications.

Working in Alberta, I've never needed to get a signature from a nurse or doc. I simply note when and where I dropped the patient off, and carry on with my day.
I find it interesting that you don't require the signature of the person you transferred pt. care too.

Obviously it isn't a requirement in Alberta. Our Medical Director likes to see it. I personally would feel more comfortable having it, since my report is a legal document and part of the patients medical records.

If the pt. can't sign for whatever reason, I can sign as their Guardian. I prefer not to and in actuality, all I need is the pt. to make their mark. There are times however,when this too is unattainable. Luckily, they are few and far between.

If the pt. can't sign for whatever reason, I can sign as their Guardian. I prefer not to and in actuality, all I need is the pt. to make their mark. There are times however,when this too is unattainable. Luckily, they are few and far between.

In other words, you don't run IFTs. :lol:

See, that's strange to me. All I had to do with patients who couldn't sign was mark a box and sign a declaration and fill in a reason for why the patient couldn't sign. It's not signing for them, it was simply stating that the patient couldn't sign.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.