DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE AMR STRIKE IN LOS ANGELES?

i work schaefer ambulance and we are already run alot of mutual aid for AMR even before the strike since they have 911 cities down south of the station im at. Since the strike, we have yet to tun any calls down in their area since AMR brought in help from out of state and from other counties.

We ran with a squad the other day, and they said it took AMR literally 35minutes to get on scene, thankfully for a non crit. pt.

I just hope this whole thing blows over and will be done with

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about two and a half hours south of Seattle straight down I-5.

I just got the word today that it looks like I am packing my bags to go to LA. As an AMR manager i don't have much choice. I agree with the previous posts though that what is lost by striking will not be regained. The only ones that are being hurt are the striking employees and your patients. I am getting paid airfare and hotel and all of that stuff. Take all of the money AMR is spending on bringing in replacement Managers (higher salaries) and now thats less money in the pie for you to negotiate wage increases, medical, dental whatever.

Just my two cents.

Probably going to LA....forced, not by choice...

Probably going to LA...
Holy mother of Zeus . . . Just hold on for an EMS culture shock . . . Actually I've never run with the medics from up there, but I can't imagine them being too much different...some good, many bad, most neutral.

I live in Southern California....any of this striking going on my way...or? Or has it already?

If someone could give me quick internet link on this situation, I would really appreciate that. I'm currently researching 3 different amb/companies right now.

Thanks!

Where in SoCal do you live?

As far as I know, this stuff is only in AMR's Los Angeles area...they cover 911 for the north-northeast part of the county for the most part...non LosAngelesCity areas that LACountyFD runs with...like Lancaster and Palmdale

ROFL!

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/news...MTs_Strike.html

Amanda Baumfeld

San Gabriel Valley Tribune (Calif.)

2008 Apr 29

LOS ANGELES -- The first strike in American Medical Response's 16-year history in West Covina, Calif., began with more than 300 employees picketing Monday.

The emergency medical technicians—who respond to 9-1-1 calls from Temple City to Diamond Bar—say they are underpaid and disrespected by management.

They have been working without a contract since May, according to Victor Ordorica, president of the International Association of EMTs and Paramedics.

AMR, which contracts with agencies throughout Los Angeles County, says the EMTs earn total compensation that is among the highest of private ambulance providers and they are committed to reaching an agreement.

"Compared to other providers we are not the lowest in terms of salary," said Jason Sorrick, spokesman for AMR. "We hope to reach an agreement with the union soon. A strike benefits no one."

But strikers said the proposed raise was lower than the cost-of- living increase.

"It shows management places very little value on its employees." said Mitch Scaff, an EMT.

AMR workers are also striking in Lancaster. They respond to emergency calls throughout the Antelope Valley.

In the most recent offer, employees would have received a 20 percent raise over the next four years and have 75 percent of their medical coverage paid for, Sorrick said. The offer was rejected last week.

"We feel we made a significant offer considering the state of the economy," Sorrick said.

But employees, many of whom say they make less than $10 a hour, say that offer is not enough. One woman said in a two week period she makes about $800.

Instead, the union is asking for a 23 percent raise over the next three years and for a clause to be taken out of the contract. The clause allows AMR to change insurance providers and increase co-pays and deductibles without bargaining with the union first, according to Ordorica.

AMR is utilizing its EMTs and supervisors from across the state and country to fill vacancies, according to Sorrick. AMR says it will continue to provide the same service they have been.

On Monday, the scene was chaotic with striking workers in front of AMR on Vincent Avenue making it difficult for temporary EMTs to cross the picket line.

Workers marched back and forth with signs in hand that read, "We Can't Afford to Get Sick," "Fair wages now" and "Save your life for $9.50 an hour."

Employees were also scattered nearby at the intersection of Arrow Highway and Vincent Avenue. Truck drivers and passers-by honked horns and waved in support.

Union employees are willing to strike for as long as it takes to reach an agreement, officials said.

Members of Trans-Aid, a competing ambulance service, were present at the strike in search of recruits. Former AMR employees, who left the company for more money, were also present to show their support.

"They should have (struck) a long time ago," said Dennis Medina, former AMR employee. "They (management) need to finally decide to pay them a decent wage."

That insurance provision is HUGE...that was offered to us. It's AMR's attempt to "self-insure" they pay 90% of the "premium" (meaning you pay 10% to the insurer..oh wait that's AMR). The deductable is HUGE something in the area of $300/ visit...yes VISIT not month or year. And around $10,000 for major procedures. To quote the corporate guy trying to push it on us "It's a pretty good deal if you don't get sick." (Note: that is an actual quote, he was trying to say if you don't get sick and are on the "real" insurance plan you are throwing away an add'l 15%, but we took it as "If you have this plan, you better not get sick..")

That insurance provision is HUGE...that was offered to us. It's AMR's attempt to "self-insure" they pay 90% of the "premium" (meaning you pay 10% to the insurer..oh wait that's AMR). The deductable is HUGE something in the area of $300/ visit...yes VISIT not month or year.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in healthcare professionals complaining about not getting the pay or respect they want, yet complaining that have to pay $300 dollars for health care? I mean seriously, if you don't think your health is worth $300 dollars, how are you going to convince the public that you are worth more than $8 dollars an hour?

Nobody is questioning that the care they get is worth more than $300...but most insurance you pay a co-pay when you go for a visit...AMR wanted us to pay a "co-pay" of up to $300 per visit...I assume you have insurance Dust you know how it works, nice try though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.