PHTLS in civilian paramedic class

They are, at their base, giving you the same information. If you've taken PHTLS, you might consider giving the ITLS version a try. There are some differences, but mostly from a presentation stand point.

ITLS comes from ACEP, or emergency physicians. PHTLS comes from ACS, or surgeons. This is the only real difference between them. The instructors will make more of a difference than the information.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I don't participate in education nearly as much as I would like to anymore. The students come in thinking they will leave with a course completion card without proving they understand the material.
Not in PHTLS...they'll fail your ass. Saw it happen last class.

I was told something similar in my class, but a further explanation was given. There is several portions that are advances based on what is being learned in combat. They are saving more lives today than in any other war/conflict I was told. These innovations are now being taught in PHTLS and to a certain degree ITLS. The only problem is the delay in new life saving methods and getting the test updated for national registry. The same problem happen a few years ago when AHA changed the guidelines for treating cardiac emergencies. The problem is not that it is effective, it is that the test has not caught up with the new information. We were further told that if you tested after Sept. you had better answer your questions based on the new information as it is suppose to be fully integrated by then.

(disclaimer: This is just what was said in my class and really don't know if it is true or not, but it makes sense as most of the paramedic classes around here are saying the same thing, just different time frames for initiation.)

Hope this helps,

Michael

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.