Leave Comments for New National EMS Education Standards

Did You Leave At Least One Feedback Comment?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes. I did my professional and civic duty.
    • No...and I suck b/c I probably have no excuse. I'm all talk.

Thanks guys.

Here's another email I sent to the general comments link (in addition to other section specific emails) and the director's reply:

Me:

Greetings,

I have been looking through the NEMSES 3rd Draft and rather than leave various comments for each section, I wanted to send a more general note.

I am certain you all wish to see an increase in competency and professionalism in the EMS field. That is the goal of many EMS personnel today, but due to a disconnect between various EMS systems and lack of access to groups in charge, it has been hard to move forward.

I hope you see the development of new national educational standards as a chance to better this profession. This cannot come about without increases in educational requirements. Here is an opportunity!

Creating more educated EMS workers, will lead to increased respect as allied healthcare professionals from the rest of the medical community, it will self-select those who are interested in the field for the right reasons, and may even lead to increased positive public perception and even compensation, possibly someday higher scopes of practice (which can only come from raising our own standards as the nursing and RT profession has done).

As an EMS professional AND as a citizen, I urge you to make revisions with the bigger picture in mind of what this will mean for EMS in America which is currently not even close to the degree of competency and effectivenes

Their reply:

Thank you again! I share your thoughts.

Another reply I got concerning the cardiac area:

thank you for your comments. We will evaluate these in light of stakeholder's input and other comments. Deb

Guess it comes back to money again...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys.

Here's another email I sent to the general comments link (in addition to other section specific emails) and the director's reply:

Me:

Greetings,

I have been looking through the NEMSES 3rd Draft and rather than leave various comments for each section, I wanted to send a more general note.

I am certain you all wish to see an increase in competency and professionalism in the EMS field. That is the goal of many EMS personnel today, but due to a disconnect between various EMS systems and lack of access to groups in charge, it has been hard to move forward.

I hope you see the development of new national educational standards as a chance to better this profession. This cannot come about without increases in educational requirements. Here is an opportunity!

Creating more educated EMS workers, will lead to increased respect as allied healthcare professionals from the rest of the medical community, it will self-select those who are interested in the field for the right reasons, and may even lead to increased positive public perception and even compensation, possibly someday higher scopes of practice (which can only come from raising our own standards as the nursing and RT profession has done).

As an EMS professional AND as a citizen, I urge you to make revisions with the bigger picture in mind of what this will mean for EMS in America which is currently not even close to the degree of competency and effectivenes

Their reply:

Thank you again! I share your thoughts.

Another reply I got concerning the cardiac area:

thank you for your comments. We will evaluate these in light of stakeholder's input and other comments. Deb

Guess it comes back to money again...

the problem i see with most classes, whether it be emt or medic is that most cover more in depth in the beginning, but then start focusing on taking the national registry exam after that, with the attitude that "you will learn most of your skiils in the street" i hear from alot of new emt's that their class was nothing more than a study session for the nremt written exam.

Dear Sirs,

I've read with great interest the recommendations that have been made in regards to the EMS Education standards. This upgrade is one that is long overdue, and comes at a critical time for the advancement of the EMS profession.

Unfortunately, I do not agree with the steps that are being proposed in this document. These recommendations seem to agree with the current ideology that the general public is deserving of less than the highest level of prehospital care that is available. I'm reasonably sure that this is not the direction the members of the panel ascribe to, and are trying to appease the many basic level providers that currently find employ in the emergency services.

While this may be admirable, it does not address the problem directly. Allowing for multiple levels of a decreased educational standard does not rectify the issue at hand. The era of having providers with minimal educational background entering our profession has long passed. I would hope that the members of this panel could see that the general public does not recognize the differences between the EMR and the paramedic, and the educational community should not allow for lower levels to encrouch on a lower standard to what is deserved.

The guidelines, as written for the paramedic level, are well thought out. It is with the lower levels that my concerns lie.

Thank you,

I hope your pleased spenac. :D

the problem i see with most classes, whether it be emt or medic is that most cover more in depth in the beginning, but then start focusing on taking the national registry exam after that, with the attitude that "you will learn most of your skiils in the street" i hear from alot of new emt's that their class was nothing more than a study session for the nremt written exam.
You should write in saying that with the suggestion that more in-depth knowledge be required on topics so that they have to be in-depth the whole way through...or something similar.

8 People has sent in comments...I guess that's okay....but I'm sure we have more than 8 "big gun" posters on this site . . . :lol: I expect at least the regulars to send in some input.

Like AZCEP said, especially the lower levels (EMR, EMT, AEMT) need help. Let them know we want competent people walking in that door. I'm okay with having a lot of people either not recert or decide not to become EMTs as a result of it.

but we're too busy to do anything to advance ourselves. Most people would say it sounds too much like work and they aren't even getting a prize for doing it (refers back to my last contest on this site)

With all the hassles at the federal level as to who actually is dealing EMS- DOT/NHTSA or DHS, it is about time that new EMS education standards have come out- Were a growing professional and the training has changed over the years, and no state has the same requirements.. But maybe all will adopt one standard for of us 8)

Yes I approve that there are new Standards finally published by DOT/NHTSA and that DHS did not get involved. Maybe the states will adopt those so that we have all the same training requirements and training as a whole, where everyone is different no. :lol:

Update:

PDF at http://www.nemsed.org/draft_standards/pdf/...ds_document.pdf is the most up-to-date version. Use that. Good stuff starts p13 (but good stuff in intro, too).

All comments for any section can go:

To: db@nemsed.org; dc@nemsed.org; jf@nemsed.org; kn@nemsed.org; lk@nemsed.org

Subject line: Comments on ______ (Include specific subsection from left column)

Here's another one to comment on:

Course length (p61)

(150 - 190 clock hours is too little to get a good grasp of materials and proper assessment/scenario training time)

Field Experience (p61)

(Field experience should be enough to prove EMT can function on their own doing at least basic assessments and interviews...or at least include some way to measure outcome of ride-alongs.)

NeoNatal Care (p47)

Newborn assessment is only included in paramedic, not EMT. So basically we don't even need to know APGAR anymore? That's what it's seeming like...Why get off easy? At least basic newborn assessment is necessary

Chest Trauma (p39)

No need to know aortic disruption/AAA stuff? This is crucial part of trauma assessment, MVA's and such.

Etc Etc...it's pretty easy to scroll through the PDF and find stuff. Not much reading at all. Just be willing to write those emails.

Is it possible that one could look across the very poorly defended northern boarder, contact Paramedics of Canada for their standards OR even the UK OR OZ.

Why reinvent the wheel when it is so easy a caveman can copy them !

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.