Leave Comments for New National EMS Education Standards

Did You Leave At Least One Feedback Comment?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes. I did my professional and civic duty.
    • No...and I suck b/c I probably have no excuse. I'm all talk.

Time for another public commenting period for the official national curriculum. Review the draft at http://www.nemses.org/draftstandards.html

It's really easy to navigate the different sections. Each section has a "Comment on this competency" link that opens an email window to the committee members working on that topic.

Some of these really need comments, because the simplicity is ridiculous like:

http://www.nemsed.org/draft_standards/detail.cfm?uid=42

EMTs only need cardiovascular fundamental (not complex) depth in CP, arrest, ACS, Aortic anuerysm/disection, thromboembolism, heart failure, hypertensive emergencies. Compare to the topics a paramedic needs to know in depth.

You can go section by section making comments. It's easy as heck to give your input.

Here's your chance to contribute to the field . . . If you don't at least try here, then forever hold your peace b/c it can't get easier than this.

Let them know what we want...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I sent in so far if anyone cares:

I have a public comment regarding the Cardiovascular knowledge required in the 3rd draft of the educational standards.

It seems all that is needed for EMT is knowing simple depth and breadth on chest pain and cardiac arrests (the requirements for EMR...one would think the EMT requirements would be higher) and fundamental knowledge on ACS, Aortic anuerysm/disection, thromboembolism, heart failure, and hypertensive emergencies.

This seems rather simple and would not allow EMTs to be competent first responders who interact with patients with a wide array of cardiovascular problems and concerns.

EMTs should not have just the bare minimum knowledge to follow algorithms, but should have enough knowledge for at least some critical thinking when algorithms fail. At least enough to communicate well with patients and other healthcare workers, such as the triage nurses in EDs.

I was surprised to see how superficial the knowledge requirements of the new curriculum are. We should be be increasing competency for the benefit of EMS everywhere (which is in a very poor state right now). If it is not done now, I don't know when.

And while we've venting (reference to other thread), I'd like to vent about the fact Spenac's been the only one to reply to this or the poll. Come on people. Geesh. Makes me angry people aren't putting more effort into this.

No wonder things are the way they are. We have the people who are supposedly really into field advancement here and they can't even give some serious push through EMAIL (the easiest of mediums)!

Here is what I just posted to the endocrine area since this is a area that directly affects me, I'm a type II diabetic, so it's only a matter of time since I will need the ambulance and if I just get emt's and they want to treat me I want them to know more than just the fact that "Doh, his blood sugar is low, give him some instaglucose"

Here is what i posted

EMT’s should know more than a fundamental level of knowledge on diabetic disorders. When you have EMT’s giving Instaglucose and god forbid Glucagon they in essence become paramedics and should have a broad and complex knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of what diabetes is. They need to know what happens to the brain and the body during the administration of any agent that is given during a diabetic crisis and the only way to do that is to increase their knowledge base of diabetes.

Any time we have emt’s giving medications they must (MUST) have a greater breadth of knowledge than they currently do.

It’s like we give these emt’s tools to use yet the curriculum does not keep up

Posted to the Respiratory section

Again, we are giving EMT’s the ability in certain jurisdictions to give medications such as breathing treatments and helping a patient self administer their personal medications.

If we are giving EMT’s the ability to help patients self administer their personal medications like Nitro, breathing treatments, instaglucose

If emt’s have only a fundamental knowledge of any area in the field then they should not be giving medications or assisting with medications at all.

Would you want your healthcare practitioner to give you medications based on a fundamental or foundational knowledge of that portion of the curriculum? I think not.

Thanks for the links, Anthony. I've been talking to coworkers about these change and have been a little surprised to see some genuine interest. I won't really have a chance to submit anything until tomorrow night though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.