Clinical/Field Advice

AMESEMT

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, don't pass out at the sight of blood.

but seriously, just go to y our first shift, ask lots of questions and be one who is not adverse to doing the scut work for the first shift or two. You are not going to be doing the lifesaving stuff right away. You basically have to prove that you know what you know before you get to practice what you know, you know?

yeah, don't pass out at the sight of blood.

but seriously, just go to y our first shift, ask lots of questions and be one who is not adverse to doing the scut work for the first shift or two. You are not going to be doing the lifesaving stuff right away. You basically have to prove that you know what you know before you get to practice what you know, you know?

ok, look at the time of that post. I was in the middle of another marathon 16 hour shift working in the ER in our go-live here in Jacksonville. I had 8 hours of sleep between that shift and the one I posted on. I'm still tired and I have 2 more shifts to go.

Here are my tips for the paramedic field clinicals.

Get to know your preceptor(s) if you ride with them for multiple shifts. First impressions are really important. You will want to be a team player as much as you can. Your goal is for them to view you as a partner rather than a student (although you will always be "the student"). To get to this point make sure you know what you are doing, and always work for improvement.

I do not agree with the whole "ask so many questions" thing. If you just keep going and going and going they are going to think you are an idiot. I would ask questions when you have them, but I would not ask so many that they think you really are incompetent. They probably already think that just because you are a student.

I suggest you talk to other classmates and previous people you may know who have had to work with the preceptors you will ride with. Also if you are not familiar with the station location then I would suggest that you locate it in advance, and possibly drive to it. Get things ready early so you are not waiting until the last minute when things can be frustrating.

I suggest when you first get on shift make sure to introduce yourself to the crew you will be riding with, and try to have a positive attitude. Talk to them early about how things will work on the ambulance so that you are not figuring it out on a call. They will probably ask how comfortable you are with patients and etc. Be ready to make mistakes but be strong enough to work through them and improve.

You may also write down some of your weaknesses so that you know what to work on. You can bring these up with your preceptors and they can advise you and hopefully you will have calls where you can work on them.

Bring equipment (watch, stethoscope, clinical packet, extra set of clothes, or whatever is required of you). Depending on your area you may also want to bring some food.

Become familiar with equipment in the ambulance so when it comes time to use it you will be capable of doing so. Same goes along with protocols because sometimes what is taught in class is a bit different than what "the cookbook" says, so make sure to be somewhat familiar with them so you are better able to be part of the team.

I also suggest that you run as lead on as many calls as you can. The more you do the more confident you will become.

I hope this helps you out. Most of it is common knowledge, but maybe it will help to hear it again.

Good Luck !

Great posts...Mateo pretty much summed it up, except for this...

Make sure you have a valuable preceptor(s). If you are belittled, insulted, ignored, or in any way disrespected...complain.

My first phase was a nightmare. I came out of school knowing some things...yet through 132 hours of brow beatings and insults came to believe I didn't know anything. Then wasted half of my second phase being convinced that in fact I was taught correctly and hearing "Dwayne, please stop second guessing yourself!" I stuck it out because I was told "She's a great medic, but tough!" I wanted tough...what I got was a Bozo and a bully.

You've hear the phrase that goes something like, "A coward dies a thousand deaths but a hero dies but once." I'll not soon forgive myself for being a coward and allowing some of the most valuable part of my education to be wasted. I hope you'll choose differently.

My Colorado Springs preceptors will always have a place in my heart for their patience and kindness, but the bottom line is I wasted a LOT of their time with the insecurities I allowed to be instilled in me from phase one.

I'm hoping you'll be smarter than me...which doesn't really take much...and demand that your field education comes with respect and obvious benchmarks of your progress. If they don't...demand a change.

Dwayne