Education V Hands on training

Hey, he wasn't just being a smart arse. I too actually thought Phil was quoting some court case or something at first. You know, like Brown v. Board of Education. :lol:

Wow a miracle has happened the title has changed to "Hands" .

As far as hands on training/education. Yes there should be much more required of us. To read about it and hear about it is not enough. Get your hands dirty. Start doing ride alongs early in the education process even if only allowed to observe and carry equipment. By the time you have your certification you will not be such a liability to your patient or partner.

Wow a miracle has happened the title has changed to "Hands" .

As far as hands on training/education. Yes there should be much more required of us. To read about it and hear about it is not enough. Get your hands dirty. Start doing ride alongs early in the education process even if only allowed to observe and carry equipment. By the time you have your certification you will not be such a liability to your patient or partner.

My apologies, it was a typo originally & when i realised i was locked out of amending it. Spellcheck doesnt check the title - yes Dust, i used spellcheck......

Should therefor training be provided by the company who is employing & then the onus is on them to provide the ridealong in an appropriate time frame for the students?

Should therefor training be provided by the company who is employing & then the onus is on them to provide the ridealong in an appropriate time frame for the students?

I have to disagree with you there Philip

if the company has employed you, then it is perceived that you already have the qualifications that they seek.

here in NSW

you are employed as a student, with that you are at the academy (AEC, Rozelle) as a student to learn the nuts and bolts of this profession in a clinical sense.

when you leave the school after when ever (5, 6, 7, 8 or what ever weeks) you are PLACED at a TRAINING station with a Training officer to learn the practical aspects of this job.

that is why you here people say at the school "this in not how you will end up doing it on the road" at times. You are placed as a probationary officer to gain and hone the theoretical skills taught at the AEC.

that is why when you graduated as a probationary officer 3 1/2 years ago you were sent to Bathurst to learn the road skills and sent to Kandos as your first posting. After the 12 moths or so it is deemed that you know enough to be able to treat as a primary care (general duties) ambo.

however as this profession is an everchanging one, you will never stop learning, that is why we have recert schools and skill update workshops to enhance the skills that we require.

under the proposed scheme that you have put forward, when you went back to rozelle last year for your P1 upgrade, should you then be made to do the ride along, as you will have to instigate skills that you didn't have at your disposal as a level 2 basic?

no they allowed you to do the schooling and ride with me to assess that you could infact cannulate and know the drugs you were giving and the rational as to why you were giving them. same follows for the mental health course. they teach you and then you are 'licenced' to carry out the role when you get "back on road'

see my point.

remember........the old bull and the young bull..........well phil, lets just walk down the hill ok?..

stay safe

Craig

Craig,

you seem to have misunderstood what I was asking.

I was not asking for a lesson in the training & employment conditions I work under, I understand them.

This was a discusussion asking others for their opinions & thoughts.

Basic anatomy, physiology & pathophysiology are essential, however, many of the things that seem to be taught appear to be superfluous to any prehospital medicine, as I showed in the following example

I have seen people trying to argue that we should be closley monitoring pt's for the amount of saline we infuse so they dont get an electrolyte imbalance (classroom thought). Reality tells us if we have a pt that we need to infuse thatmuch fluid into rapidly, well, they are damn sick & close to meeting their maker & the electrolyte issue is a nonsense.

I now, in trying to bring this thread back on track, ask what balance should there be in didactic & hands on training, considering hands on does not mean ride a long.......