McCoy Miller

HaAving not so long ago returned from the McCoy Miller factory in Indiana and picking up some new rigs (a HUGE chunk of $$$ for them) I can honestly say I did not feel welcomed nor will I EVER be apart of an agency that puchases rigs from them. While the factory tour was a great insight, it felt as if we were a bother and in their way; additionally there lack of a QA/QI department in house makes me TRULY WONDER about their products.

...how did you end up touring their factory? Are you in management or was this just for fun?

HaAving not so long ago returned from the McCoy Miller factory in Indiana and picking up some new rigs...

It's pretty common for anybody picking up ambulances from the manufacturer to get the nickel tour. I've done that at several factories.

McCoy Miller makes a nice ambulance for the money. They are are mid line as regards to costs. At my old job, now my part time, we have two. One the patient compartment is now on its 3rd chassis and has been well over 600,000 miles, it is our back up unit. The newest ambulance is also McCoy Miller. Patient compartments are laid out pretty nice. Cabinets are a little deep so at times supplies shift and you have to dig.

As far as factory tour. These places are places of work, not a place for your enjoyment. Having owned my own construction company, I have been to many factories. Many supply companys trying for my business paid to fly me all over the USA to see factories. One thing I found out is many places also give bonuses for production. So you being there may slow down production thus costing the workers money. You cost me money and I'm going to find it hard to sing and dance for you.

I understand that the factory tour can inhibit some workers progress; but when the director of the division we are buying through specifically requests you and staff for a tour, one would think that the place could be slightly clean and interactions would be positive. As for the delivery of our rigs, the division president as well as our sales guy knew we would be picking up @ the factory. Aside from that there did not appear to be any "Final Quality control" plan in place the rigs. The issues we faced were; cracked laminate, missing caulk, devices not working that were brand new, chipped paint and a list that goes to nauseium to the tune of about 6-7 pages. But seeing that McCoy didnt even have a seat at the table @ JEMS in Baltimore this year... and in talking to many of their people @ the factory " There going after the fire market know". Maybe we in good ole plain EMS are in there way unless your a fire based service.....................

Not fire based here and had only one issue. The factory tech walked me through fixing it. No other McCoy Miller issues. We took delivery of it Dec 2006. Now I did hear rumor that they were bought out or joining forces, something along those lines. Perhaps that happened and quality has changed.

Your poor experience with the company that produced your new ambulances is indeed unfortunate. The customer should be number one! And the best customer is a repeat customer.

I think you're dealing with corporate America, where profit margins are bottom line. I believe McCoy/Miller, a once small locally owned company, has been gobbled up by a larger "corporate group."

Next time try a family or locally owned manufacturer that wants your continued business and are established in the industry, such as Braun, Lifeline, Excellance, or Osage. There may be others, those are the ones I currently know of.

Just my opinion. Regards.

if u want to know about there ambulances call Benzie county EMS, they SUCK ROYALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can give u a number of a guy i know who is the supervisor in Benzie EMS........................ THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ems828

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.