Info on AMR

mshow00

In all my many years in EMS... (ok, ok, just 10 yeah I know Im just a pup.. but it makes me sound almost regal... :wink:) I would have to say Dust's comments have been the only possitive thing I have ever heard about AMR... of course I am from New England and have see first hand what Doug is talking about with AMR in Mass... Just my 2 cents

JJ

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Dust but you're talking out your arse there...

For the sake of accuracy, I specifically said "usually", not "always". I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

And there is nothing "usual" about Massahoweveryouspellit.

The farked up stuff AMR has done to its exployees (like firing and rehiring next day so employee has has a harder time getting a new job) is about as long as the list of farked up stuff LACoFD has done to its patients....least from what I've heard from past employees. I imagine not every service area is the same, though...

So far my experience with them has been positive, but there is a reason. When I've worked for the Empire their hands were tied because it was a PUM. Like them or hate them PUM's can keep a company like AMR in line. I have never worked for them where they are completely free to screw everyone over.

AMR has a pretty good rep down here in so cal. All I really have to say after working as an EMT for almost a year is that you are always going to have disgruntled employees and penny pinching BLS ambulance companies.

Currently I'm working for a branch of AMR that has it's act together fairly well. We have all the toys (i.e. Lifepack 12's, hydraulic assist gurneys, GoBook computers with EPCR's and a Computer Aided Dispatch program that works pretty well) and if I heard correctly we're the only county that can wear t-shirts. I realize this doesn't mean THAT much, but is very nice. We've got newer rigs ('06) and a good set of resources as far as maintenance and getting it done when it's needed. Most importantly the pay is the best by far in this and surrounding counties. Most other companies start off an EMT at $8.25, which is minimum wage out here, or if you're lucky you'll get $10 an hour. Whereas I started out at $12.60 on a BLS transport car. I believe our medics start out at $23-$25 an hour, but I'm not exactly sure about that. You'd get half that as a starting medic anywhere else besides fire around here.

But, AMR being the Wal-Mart of ambulance providers nowadays, came into my city and stole the 911 contract from the fire department. Which got them into a pissing match thats still going on after so many years. This seems to be what everybody hates about them and as dust said, they eventually run out of money, or get fingers pointed at them when idiots working for them do something stupid. The door is open pretty wide for people applying in my county. They practically throw you the keys to a rig as you're handing them your application, so the possibility of hiring less than adequate employees is high.

But I like it so far. I've only been here a year and have heard stories of getting lost in the system easily, but haven't experienced anything like this. AMR also has the contracts to many counties around me in central California. Several of which have been around for a while and do pretty well for themselves. Aside from the annoying mandatory online training

I don't have a problem with them. :D

Well, the online training is on the clock, right?

It sure is, but doesn't make it any less boring :D

4-6 hours once a year isn't so bad, but it seems like the end of the world when that time rolls around. Haha.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.