States

Michigan uses the EMT-S which is I believe is the I-85 class. It's mostly useless here though. Wayne county is the only ones who actually use them in an als capacity in the Detroit metro area (I can't tell you about the rest of the state). ALS in wayne county = 1 EMTS + 1 EMTP. All you can legally do above basic is IV and intubation. the rest of the metro area is either basic/medic or medic/ medic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington makes it even more confusing since we have the alphabet system.

We actually have FIVE levels of Intermediates.

EMT-IV Technician

EMT-Airway Technician

EMT-IV/Airway Technician

EMT-ILS Technician

EMT-ILS/Airway Technician

Along with I-85, EMT-S, EMT-B, EMT-P, MICT etc.

Does anyone have any questions as to why the public doesn't know what to call us? We don't know for one state to another or from one day to another. And, that doesn't include the list of "skills" each can do. Unfortunately, there is little said about education for each of these levels on the state websites. Just "skills".

IL use to, I'm not sure now. I've been out too long.

Oregon has them, but doesn't recognize the national registry certs, just what is done by the state. Sore spot with me since it's now been decided that the gimps get to expand their scope (large expansion really) with something like an additional 10 hours of class time...no extra clinical time and no internship time. Add in that any existing I only has to take a written test that it is literally impossible to fail (I'm serious...you could not answer any questions and that would be sufficient to pass for those smart people at DHS)...just a little disturbing to say the least.

Scara-I know Washington's got all the different I levels, but how often do all of them actually get used?

I wanted to know because I am in the I class and I wanted to move out of kansas and wanted to know where I could get a job

Are you insane?

The chicks are hott in Kansas!

Maryland utilises the EMT-I as an actual cookbook ALS provider. I remember seeing a book, many, many years ago that was a flip guide for the CRT (the old EMT-I). It actually had statements such as this... "If you see this rhythm, push a brown box, and then a purple box." I wish I were kidding.

If it makes you feel any better, Iowa calls their EMT-I/99s "EMT-Paramedic."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.