States

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how that really answers his question, unless he wants to run up one hell of a phone bill, getting very few calls returned.

It would be easier to list those states which do not recognise EMT-Intermediates. They are:

• Delaware

District of Columbia

Floridia

Kentucky

Missouri

New Jersey

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

West Virgina

• Of course, just because a state recognises Intermediates does not mean that they actually utilise them in an ALS capacity. Many systems in many states allow them to practise only as BLS providers. That means yeah, you can get a job there, but your scope of practice will be the same as an EMT-B. And this is becoming more and more common.

Why do you ask?

California uses them (EMT-Is), but there are less than 200 state wide because a system has to prove that they aren't using them to replace paramedic service in order to use them.

Washington makes it even more confusing since we have the alphabet system.

We actually have FIVE levels of Intermediates.

EMT-IV Technician

EMT-Airway Technician

EMT-IV/Airway Technician

EMT-ILS Technician

EMT-ILS/Airway Technician

:shock:

Not sure how that really answers his question, unless he wants to run up one hell of a phone bill, getting very few calls returned.

It has a list of websites.. To look it up.

Maryland utilises the EMT-I as an actual cookbook ALS provider. I remember seeing a book, many, many years ago that was a flip guide for the CRT (the old EMT-I). It actually had statements such as this... "If you see this rhythm, push a brown box, and then a purple box." I wish I were kidding.

The current Maryland EMT-I is about a 400 hour class. Baltimore City uses them to staff ALS units. It's quick, it's cheap, and the public has no idea they are receiving inferior care. There is no national registry exam until you reach paramedic level in Maryland. It's very easy to buy a state exam if you are the right person.

In Arkansas, we have a few people that are classified an EMT-I. Generally, they are a basic that might have once been an EMT-I, but functions only as a basic. The biggest cause for a person being labeled an EMT-I here, is a paramedic that was deemed incompetent and is now only allowed to perform ALS skills under the direct supervision of another paramedic, and they are not allowed to be the sole provider in the back of any ambulance.

I will keep my opinion of the classification of the EMT-I to myself. Mark the date.

It would be easier to list those states which do not recognise EMT-Intermediates. They are:

• Delaware

District of Columbia

Floridia

Kentucky

Missouri

New Jersey

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

West Virgina

West Virginia recently started recognizing EMT-I's. I know its been a long time coming. If im not mistaken they have to ask permission for anything they do. Heres a link to their protocols.

http://www.wvoems.org/Portals/2/medicalDir...20protocols.pdf

West Virginia recently started recognizing EMT-I's. I know its been a long time coming.

So, the vollies and the firemonkeys finally got their way? Nice. Welcome to 1970.

Yeah but from rumors i've heard im not sure how long they will recognize them. I don't keep up with West Virginia much since i've moved away. Something about they may not certify any new EMT-I's or not recert them, is there anyone here from WV that can confirm that?

Now EMT-B's can administer NTG and albuterol tx's in WV, not sure how I feel about that one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.