pharmacology terminology?

Can any tell me what some of these terms or medications are or where I can get information on them? Agonist, Antagonism, Cumulative effect, Idiosyncrasy, Pharmacokinetics, ASA

That was all in our pharmacology book which we got into at paramedic level.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was all in our pharmacology book which we got into at paramedic level.

I was about to say all that was covered in one of the first ALS introduction books I got.

• 4 weeks later...
[/font:452d59b8f6]

Hey, I know that ASA stands for aspirin...sorry, that's all I know...i am starting para school this summer...hope it doesn't suck

Does your paramedic curriculum include anatomy and physiology? If not, I strongly suggest you take those courses before starting it. Basic physiological concepts like receptors, agonists/antagonists, etc. are really a must...

Does your paramedic curriculum include anatomy and physiology? If not, I strongly suggest you take those courses before starting it. Basic physiological concepts like receptors, agonists/antagonists, etc. are really a must...

Maybe add to that, a pharmacology class and medical terminology class..Good basics for continued learning. It's hard to push the learning envelope when you don't understand what you are reading. Online or otherwise. :wink:

Just my opinion, as always, for what it is worth..

How about a histology course?

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews : Pharmacology : Special Millennium Update

Mary J Mycek, Richard A Harvey, Pamela C Champe

It starts right from square one and takes you through the receptors and reasons the drug classes work, then from there you may go to better understand how individual drugs work. Always remember even for AlS road paramedics....a deep knowledge is great but the best als always starts with good bls.

ask your education department, they should be more than happy to assist you.

How about a histology course?

Depends. For pre-hospital purposes, I guess you could put some histology into the physiology course and make do with that. I haven't heard of a paramedic programme that includes histology, but obviously, it would be a plus.

I agree that histology does help a lot, especially in physiology.

[/font:faea74f316]

Hey, I know that ASA stands for aspirin...sorry, that's all I know...i am starting para school this summer...hope it doesn't suck

if it does suck the first person to tell you so will be Our good resident cynic Dustdevil