the way EMS and first responders treat the mentally ill

freedome

I agree with Phil regarding the treatment of mental illness in ems and I also agree that one's patience can be completely depleted by the time that spitting, biting, 5150 patient has been restrained to the gurney.

However, I think the biggest point here is for freedome--it sounds like this is a field in which you are no longer working. It also sounds like you have had some difficulty in ems, as you mentioned that you are currently suffering from PTSD.

This forum is great for learning more about the field and venting to fellow ems workers, but I think you really need to seek professional help. A lot of good-natured teasing takes place here, but I don't think that's what you need. Please consider finding someone to talk to face to face, specifically a professional. Only you can help yourself. Once you've helped yourself, you can go back to helping others.

And Dust, most people in this industry are truly kind and caring, even if it's hidden deep below a tough exterior... :wink:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus 5 for that. But minus 5 for disabling bb codes, resulting in your italics and bold type codes not working.

I didnt disable anything

it appears to be a problem beyond my control.....

...it sounds like this is a field in which you are no longer working. It also sounds like you have had some difficulty in ems, as you mentioned that you are currently suffering from PTSD.

She's never been in EMS. Not even an EMT.

And Dust, most people in this industry are truly kind and caring, even if it's hidden deep below a tough exterior... :wink:

Shhhh.... we don't want her to know that! 8)

Another person who uses the chat room to seek mental health advice. I have no problem posting a link (which I in fact did) to direct you to help lines, etc.. However, all you -ever- want to do is profusely apologize for your past, discuss PTSD, cutting and suicides.. Just let it go already.

The last thing I want to do every other day is chat with people about their mental health.. Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe that a chat room is the place to seek that kind of help. You cannot depend on the people in the chat room to provide you with the kind of help you need.. Judging simply on your past actions, from a dozen sites, I simply feel it's inappropriate to go through this every six months.

I keep this link in my pre-defined messages box, in the chat room..

http://www.rainsnow.org/help_resources.htm