the way EMS and first responders treat the mentally ill

freedome

I can talk good but not spell well or do grammar so well with out spell check.

You DO have SpellCheck. Had you bothered to read the Forum Rules, as you were instructed to do when you joined here, you would know that.

Even if we did not provide you with a SpellCheck, you still have MS Word on your computer, which spell checks for you. If you really cared about professional communications, you would figure that out and use it. You didn't. You FAIL. You fail because you do not care. You are not a caring person. And you wonder why others don't care about you?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am doing this one in word I Should have done all of this in word I can not change the past mistakes that I have made on here I am sorry for all the miscommunication I have caused on here. I really do care about helping people and trying to get back in to the world of helping people for right now all I can do is work with dogs two days a week and that is all I have sever PTSD and other issues that I am working so hard on. I have not cut or been in the hospital for over a year now I finally got my life on track now. I some times word and other programs do not pick up my spelling ok. I was not thinking clearly earlier and I am sorry.

I have no intention to insult you? I want to help people. I really do but I have been unable to due to things in my past ok. You said that you find people “automatically assume we you are arrogant and selfish.” I mean EMS people but I do not think so well not all most of them are nice. I came here so that maybe I can relate to some one. I have witness some things that well maybe you all can relate to me with but I maybe can not get it out right now. I have trouble communicating and getting things out. I am just begging to get things out in therapy but I have been in therapy for a long time but just have recently been concurring harder issues. I have been holing it in so long it has been distorting my life. I am sure that you are quite compassionate with your my patients that are having emotional problems and I am sure you loose compassion with repeat offenders because I have been one before but I have changed I have not been in the hospital for a year. I hope this makes since I hope that I am communicating well.

I mean EMS people but I do not think so well not all most of them are nice.

Most of them aren't.

So why would you want to work with those kind of people?

Most of them aren't.

So why would you want to work with those kind of people?

Even WITH spell check, and I'm still wondering what the hell she just said!

OK, with the mis-spelling aside, EMS in general terms does Mental Illness very, very badly.

There is plenty of evidence for us to base standard treatments for things such as chest pain (cardiac) treatments, Stroke, trauma etc, but, mental health has been the poor cousin in the heath industry. Why, because it is hard to understand, the manifestations of mental illness are, in some cases socially unacceptable. The majority patients with mental illness are controlled by medication and society would never know. Some mental illnesses are more acceptable than others (mild depression schitzophrenia for example).

What needs to be considered at this point however is that when ems & police become involved, it is when the sufferer of the illness is in their most vulnerable state. They are having a severe episode. What works with one patient, will not work with another. Every situation is different.

The thing that we, in ems need to consider & maintain is the right that ALL our patients have to dignity, respect & the most professional treatments possible in the circumstances.

It is a fine line between some mental illnesses & being sane, who wants to be on the receiving end?

We show respect for the person who has chest pain, we have empathy for them, we show compassion.

Do we treat the next person, who is delusional, possibly showing aggression, with the same compassion & empathy? They, like the cardiac patient did not get to choose their illness. medicine in general terms does not fully understand the nature of most mental illnesses, but progress is always being made.

I think we all need to consider how we look at mental illness, both personally & professionally.

Phil

PS I used the spell check

PS I used the spell check

Plus 5 for that. But minus 5 for disabling bb codes, resulting in your italics and bold type codes not working.

Phil,

You raise some good points, and I agree with what you had to say. While ALL of our patients deserve respect, dignity, compassion...it's a little hard to show those to the patient that has just tried to rip your head off your shoulders in an unprovoked attack!

Lone Star you said:

"Phil,

You raise some good points, and I agree with what you had to say. While ALL of our patients deserve respect, dignity, compassion...it's a little hard to show those to the patient that has just tried to rip your head off your shoulders in an unprovoked attack."

I agree however, we need to bear in mind that it is not personal, they are not in full control of themselves & properly treated most will never present as a problem again.

It is significant to point out at this stage that many particularly people suffering delusions, will receive treatment, maintain their meds for a short period & then believe they are cured or detest the side effects & go off their meds, leading to the cycle perpetuating.