Looking for a PCR....

swn919

The only thing Fill in Forms are good for is when you need to write a PCR hours later and not as an official doc. They go in the shredder when the real PCR is done.

Obviously, your local protocols are way different from mine.

A PCR (Pre-hospital Care Report) has to be completed, and in the indicated box, the charge nurse, or their designee, must sign the PCR indicating acceptance of the patient's care from the ambulance crew, then, one copy of the multi-page form is left in the ED registrar's possession, for inclusion in the overall patient's care records.

FDNY EMS uses one that can be read electronically, but more for purposes of billing.

The State of New York's Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services uses a different one. I tried pulling up a copy of the PCR, but only could find the instructions for filling it out, at the NYS DoH website.

^ Worst. PCR. Ever.

Hey I helped designed that damn thing !... :D

I agree it sucks. It was designed in the early 90's and I had to make it be able to go through a bubble type scanner.

I agree usually most state EMS does not get money, but that is why statistics is needed as well. It is a federal mandate that State EMS have some form of PCR points to be able to retrieve information. Most have went to ePCR and the filters are built in to be sent into the OSDH as needed.

I placed the criteria needed for Trauma Registry, or then the EMT would have to fill out another separate mandated sheet for information.

Actually most states do have EMS reimbursements such as Texas and Oklahoma, albeit many receive little it is still monies they would not have and research grants (both EMS and even medial studies are based upon these reports).

R/r 911

The funny part of these state PCR's is they are usually only used by smaller services. Larger services create and print their own. So any statistics gleaned from the state forms are skewed.

This does not even take into account that many services have gone electronic anyway.

Actually what occurs is almost all services large or small places data in their PCR somewhere. There are national requirements to obtain EMS information or states cannot receive funding for EMS and many other medical projects, highway safety, etc.

Again, most medics are not even aware of such as described many are now ePCR. The information is embedded into the run report such as falls > than 10 ft, MOI, delayed extrication, to even the time of arrival to the ED are all required data each state have to provide to a National Trauma Registry. The choice upon how they get it and pay for it is another subject.

Although it may be a pain in the arse, it is the only real way to obtain data. For example, this was a good documentation of finding out that a Trauma Center did not really have a surgeon in house. Time of arrival of patient until surgical intervention, can be determined.

As well as scene delay justifiable or not, even proof skills are justifiable, etc.

Just because the State's name is not on the PCR does not mean their not getting information. For example Oklahoma City & Tulsa EMSA ePCR (Medusa) has always been integrated with the State's requirement and is downloaded monthly into the state's data base.

R/r 911

At my full time job our epcr automatically sends required info to the state. At my part time job we write out pcr, then someone has to come back later and read it and enter thae required info onto the state site. So a duplication of work. Of course they are talking about upgrading us to this.

[web:87ec3facd6]http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://staff.xu.edu/~polt/typewriters/underwood5small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://staff.xu.edu/~polt/typewriters/underwood5.html&h=288&w=296&sz=32&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=iddnLWgFEI2XcM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dold%2Btypewriter%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den[/web:87ec3facd6]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.