Medical workers develop business to reduce ER visits

I'm not sure exactly what this means. Does it mean that they are going to just trust you to file the insurance forms? And if they don't file the forms...? Or if the insurance doesn't pay...? They're not going to collect on-scene? I smell a financial failure in the making.

I also have some misgivings about how this is going to work out for patients. How many people who "just don't feel good" turn out to be having an MI, a bleed, or a dissecting aortic aneurism? How many of those people are going to lose an hour or more of valuable time waiting for a PA to come to their home?

Don't get me wrong. I like the concept. I just see some bugs that need to be worked out.

From what I understand it will be cash up-front. I am sure that will be part of the requirement before sending anyone out. I would predict that they will leave a T-form and insurance info to be sent in for reimbursement, and as described will be up to the patient. As well, I would assume they will have a call screener to take the information, I am presuming there might be "foul ups" but any indicators of urgent type illnesses, will be directed to EMS. This Doc is too smart not to cover his rear. Knowing of this physician, he usually does not jump into anything half hazardously without a lot of pre-thoughts.

It will be interesting to see. Although, the hospital he is associated with is one of the smaller ones, they are one of the busiest as well. Ironically, he just opened up a "Doc in the Box" minor ER clinic as well. Apparently, from what I have been informed it is doing well.

If this idea does catch on, it will definitely be profitable for him as well as those that can afford it, much rather await at home and not have to be in the ER. Not really a bad idea for those "snotty noses and routine illnesses".

R/r 911

One of my part time gigs a few years ago was for a very similar service.

A doctor opened a private practice that is very upscale. His patients are all in the wealthy class, upper level professional types. His entire office is elaborately decorated, fine furniture, art and a very expensive espresso/cappuccino machine in the waiting room.

Anyways, he works the office with one assistant and one secretary. He has portable xray, capability of some labs, etc. He also has special contracts with outside labs or treatment centers that guarantee his patients will be priority.

I like the service he provides as it is one on one, never anyone waiting for any length of time, etc. Anyways, I gave the back story just so I could highlight his other service.

He has 5 doctors on staff for home visits only. Orlando being the tourist mecca it is, especially with a lot of international travelers, he decided to provide a house call service to those that request it.

Basically, visitors call our office and either an RN or a Paramedic screen the call. If there is the slightest hint of a emergency, they are referred to 911 after their hotel and room number is confirmed. We also followed up in those situations to ensure they got the care they needed.

After getting all their symptoms we then got their payment information. We took credit cards or cash. They usually have health insurance or travel insurance as well and it would be up to them to file for reimbursement when they get home. If it was a company that paid upfront, we would process the claim and get an approval number.

Once that info was obtained, we would dispatch the doctors who were required to be in the city limits when on call. Do not care what they were doing, they just had to be in the area. Response time was always an hour or less. Then they would go do what they needed to, usually antibiotics, or simple medicines or procedures. Then they call in their final billing and call is over.

The patients loved it as a doc comes to them and they avoid sitting in ER for the greater part of the day while on vacation. They can also call us 24/7 for further information or advice.

It was a great system and I love the idea.

In the time I worked for them, there were only a handful of calls that we had to reroute to 911 as most people know when it is an emergency to call that first. They utilized the doc service for the sniffles, colds, swimmers ear, minor cellulitis, and otitis media. Some people forgot their meds at home and needed us to do a physical and write a new prescription so they could get their meds at the pharmacy.

Anyways, this business has been serving for almost 15 years now. I am surprised it has not become more popular.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.