EMS worker on warfarin?

I was recently diagnosed with a Protein S deficiency, and the doctors are considering putting me on warfarin therapy (I did have a PE 10 years ago, so I am at risk of getting more clots). I am concerned that I may have to quit EMS due to the dangers we face in the field and the risk of getting injured once I start the blood thinners.

I am wondering if anyone else has been on blood thinners and still worked?

You don't happen to have an infectious disease as well, do you? Sorry...couldn't resist :lol:

To give you a more coherent response: I have personal experience of someone that is on acenocoumarol (also an anti-coagulant) and works in EMS. He is always very cautious in what he dos, but to be honest, he is the example of good practice to all of us.

So no, I don't really see a problem. You would not be putting a pt at risk, and you could certainly minimize the risk to yourself by good practice (always making sure you have sharps container next to you when doing an IV, for example).

WM

Yeah, I don't see a problem with it. I think a lot of people overestimate the physical aspect of this job in most cases. I mean, you may need to steer clear of the USAR and tactical team activities, but the day-to-day operations of EMS shouldn't present a problem for you. Not anymore than your risk from taking care of a family and house. Chances are that your current situation -- the long hours of inactivity and sitting in a truck eating fast food -- are more of a threat to you than the risk of serious haemorrhagic incident from an on duty injury. Good luck!

I don't see any immediate problems with working. Until a problem does comes up, God forbid, I don't see any kind of issues about it.

I don't see any immediate problems with working. Until a problem does comes up, God forbid, I don't see any kind of issues about it.

Seriously. In fact, I bet a lot of us here wish our problems were that minor! :lol:

Go for it! Just learn your limits and how long it takes you to quit bleeding etc. once you start the warfarin. I know a nurse who's been on it for 30 odd years who just joined the search and rescue class I'm in... she's doing fine, and has been doing fine as a wilderness EMT and nurse for ages.

As she said... "Hurray for living on rat poison!" :rabbit: :rabbit:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.