Should People With Infectious Diseases Be Allowed in EMS?

I've refrained from reacting to this topic before now, just being contented to read and digest the different standpoints. It does, however, seem that most of the salient points have been made by the different camps and now we are just repeating ourselves. It's inevitable that a consensus is impossible when this is such a morally-charged issue. We are a sum of our beliefs and moral values and they are usually so ingrained that it's difficult to change a person's view.

Reaching a consensus here is not the issue. It's about listening to one another and having the courtesy to read what someone else has written, however much you disagree. Once that starts to diminish then we can all pack up and go home. And this is a very real possibility, I know of several fora that disappeared after they just turned into a series of slanging matches and the place to play out personal vendettas.

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to die in a fire of suspicious origin

author unknown

WM

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's inevitable that a consensus is impossible when this is such a morally-charged issue. We are a sum of our beliefs and moral values and they are usually so ingrained that it's difficult to change a person's view.

There it is. That is the very sad reason why no consensus can be reached. Because too many people are too caught up in the emotions of political correctness, instead of what is best for all involved. Tap dancing around the feelings of those with AIDS and TB is quite obviously not necessarily what is best for them or their patients.

There it is. That is the very sad reason why no consensus can be reached. Because too many people are too caught up in the emotions of political correctness, instead of what is best for all involved. Tap dancing around the feelings of those with AIDS and TB is quite obviously not necessarily what is best for them or their patients.

I can't get a handle on where you're coming from Dust..

It's not been my opinion (And of course I realize that you weren't responding to me) that we should leave them alone (HIV/AIDS/HEP) because we'll hurt their feelings, or treat them unfair if we remove them to protect patients. Simply that the math, and the science make it quite clear that the contamination risk is so far below other patient morbidity/mortality risks that we allow as acceptable that it seems hypocritical to persue this, and ignore those.

It seems like such an obvious point to me. I'm not sure what I'm missing...

Dwayne

A very elegantly put post, Dwayne.

I do think that we're going round in circles on this subject. However, it would be disingenuous of me not to state my position....

I'm with you all the way, Dwayne.

WM

I've refrained from reacting to this topic before now, just being contented to read and digest the different standpoints. It does, however, seem that most of the salient points have been made by the different camps and now we are just repeating ourselves. It's inevitable that a consensus is impossible when this is such a morally-charged issue. We are a sum of our beliefs and moral values and they are usually so ingrained that it's difficult to change a person's view.

Reaching a consensus here is not the issue. It's about listening to one another and having the courtesy to read what someone else has written, however much you disagree. Once that starts to diminish then we can all pack up and go home. And this is a very real possibility, I know of several fora that disappeared after they just turned into a series of slanging matches and the place to play out personal vendettas.

WM

Excellent and true reply. At this point we just go round and round. None will change their mind based on what we say here.

It's not been my opinion (And of course I realize that you weren't responding to me) that we should leave them alone (HIV/AIDS/HEP) because we'll hurt their feelings, or treat them unfair if we remove them to protect patients.

But that's exactly what it is about. Yes, I understand that is not your specific point, and yes, I wasn't specifically replying to you. But society's biggest focus these days is not public health. It is indeed the feelings and rights of the infected, with public health being of only tertiary concern. That's not how I roll.

We are all well read here. Many probably better read than you and some probably not.

I don't see you posting on this and in chat you threatened to send this thread to your ems group who I assume a majority of those on the site you threatened to send this thread to are HIV positive.

You made your position abundantly clear in your discussion with me in chat and I have made my point abundantly clear here in this thread too.

I don't see you posting on this and in chat you threatened to send this thread to your ems group who I assume a majority of those on the site you threatened to send this thread to are HIV positive.

Ruff to hear that someone would make threats to cause problems because people expressed their educated opinions is just chicken crap. We are talking preferences. If a persons choices in life have led to them getting sick or injured it is their fault, no one elses. The fact that some are uncomfortable with someone with very life changing illnesses treating them should not be a surprise. Even if the risk is less than 1% that is still more risk than if treated by a person w/o disease.

To whoever made the threats, they need to get a life and understand this is a forum where we are free to discuss subjects of concern. It is OK to disagree but leave the threats at the door.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.